Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2020/07/17 09:42:15 UTC

Does maven-filtering really require maven-shared-utils 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

Hi,

I'm checking the scope of releasing maven-resources-plugin. There is
currently a transitive dependency chain like this:
- maven-resources-plugin depends upon
- maven-filtering 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT depends upon
- maven-shared-utils 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT

That last SNAPSHOT was added in
https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/commit/17fe0c18929be13fb75b00d76628dc7146f85aec
but it does not seem related to the commit message or the other changes in
the commit. So I'm curious, does maven-filtering really need the latest
version of maven-shared-utils? The build with tests succeeds if I turn it
back to the latest stable version 3.2.1.

Note that there is also a pending pull request that does away with many,
but not all,  usages of maven-shared-utils classes in maven-filtering. I'd
like for that to be merged and included in the upcoming releases.
https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/pull/13

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Does maven-filtering really require maven-shared-utils 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@gmail.com>.
Den fre 17 juli 2020 kl 13:56 skrev Robert Oxspring <roxspring@imapmail.org
>:

> > On 17 Jul 2020, at 10:42, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm checking the scope of releasing maven-resources-plugin. There is
> > currently a transitive dependency chain like this:
> > - maven-resources-plugin depends upon
> > - maven-filtering 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT depends upon
> > - maven-shared-utils 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT
> >
> > That last SNAPSHOT was added in
> >
> https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/commit/17fe0c18929be13fb75b00d76628dc7146f85aec
> > but it does not seem related to the commit message or the other changes
> in
> > the commit. So I'm curious, does maven-filtering really need the latest
> > version of maven-shared-utils? The build with tests succeeds if I turn it
> > back to the latest stable version 3.2.1.
>
> The message of that commit doesn’t make much sense to me but the timing of
> the commit ties in with my recent work! I’d certainly love this chain of
> releases to happen as it would allow MRESOURCES-258 to be closed. I think
> MRESOURCES-236 is in the same position.
>
> maven-shared-utils was modified to fix the underlying issue:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/28
>
> maven-filtering was modified to reuse the matching (but improved) methods
> in maven-shared-utils:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/pull/6
>
> I didn’t replicate tests for improved behaviour upstream in
> maven-resources-plugin, hence the maven-resources-plugin tests not
> breaking. I can replicate the tests upstream and prove them in the
> maven-resources-plugin context if you’d prefer?

I see no need to replicate tests in multiple components. I simply needed
guidance from someone involved in the maven-shared-utils code base.So
thanks for the input :)

> Note that there is also a pending pull request that does away with many,
> > but not all,  usages of maven-shared-utils classes in maven-filtering.
> I'd
> > like for that to be merged and included in the upcoming releases.
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/pull/13
>
> Is there an implication here that we’re trying to drop dependencies on
> maven-shared-utils?

I don't know. It has been a long time since I worked with the Maven code,
so I'm very rusty when it comes to what we do and don't do at this point in
time. When I looked at the pull request it looked good to me, apart from a
minor detail in a test. The changes I saw was replacing calls to
maven-shared-utils with calls to Apache Commons libraries. In my opinion
that is a good change, since the Commons libraries have been around for
ages and have excellent tests. We should not maintain code that does the
exact same things as they do. I do think that some of the code in
maven-shared-utils may somehow be related to the code in Apache Commons, as
in they share a common ancestor way back in time.

If so, I’m happy to revert https://github.com/apache/maven-filtering/pull/6
> and port the https://github.com/apache/maven-shared-utils/pull/28
> directly to maven-filtering. Let me know and I can tackle over the weekend!
> (would love to get this released!)

If you or someone else wants to see a release of maven-shared-utils we
should do it.

Thanks,

> Rob

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: Does maven-filtering really require maven-shared-utils 3.3.0-SNAPSHOT?

Posted by Robert Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.