Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Santiago Álvarez Martínez <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2010/08/03 22:13:02 UTC

"package org.postgresql.util does not exist" compilation problem

Hi:

I'm developing a Java application, using Maven, Spring and Hibernate, and Postgre (with Postgis) as DBMS.

Everything went OK, until I had to import the org.postgresql.util package, to use the PGobject class, in a UserType Hibernate class.

I got the following errors:

[...]
/home/perseo/PFC/maven.1264475335794/src/main/java/es/udc/fiestas/model/util/types/PointType.java:15: package org.postgresql.util does not exist
import org.postgresql.util.PGobject;
                          ^

[...]
[checking es.udc.fiestas.web.pages.usuario.CambiarUbicacion]
[checking es.udc.fiestas.model.util.types.PointType]
/home/perseo/PFC/maven.1264475335794/src/main/java/es/udc/fiestas/model/util/types/PointType.java:56: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class PGobject
location: class es.udc.fiestas.model.util.types.PointType
        PGobject pgo = (PGobject) rs.getObject(names[0]);
        ^

/home/perseo/PFC/maven.1264475335794/src/main/java/es/udc/fiestas/model/util/types/PointType.java:[56,24] cannot find symbol
symbol  : class PGobject
location: class es.udc.fiestas.model.util.types.PointType

In my pom.xml file, I've included the dependencies for both Postgre and Postgis, and Eclipse doesn't complain about them (neither in the pom.xml file, nor in the PointType.java):

        <!-- PostgreSQL -->
        <dependency>
            <groupId>postgresql</groupId>
            <artifactId>postgresql</artifactId>
            <version>8.4-701.jdbc4</version>
        </dependency>

        <!-- PostGIS -->
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.postgis</groupId>
            <artifactId>postgis-jdbc</artifactId>
            <version>1.3.3</version>
        </dependency>

Is there any issue with used JDBC package that doesn't allow to use their classes like any other package?

Note: I have to import that class, to be used here:
    public Object nullSafeGet(ResultSet rs, String[] names, Object owner)
            throws HibernateException, SQLException {
        PGobject pgo = (PGobject) rs.getObject(names[0]);
        BinaryParser bp = new BinaryParser();
        return (Point) bp.parse(pgo.getValue());
    }
As the returned object is a PGobject (from a Geometry Postgis column), I use the PGobject getValue() method to access its content, so I can't generalize that.

Thank you in advance.

Nice regards.

Santiago.

Re: "package org.postgresql.util does not exist" compilation problem

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Hi Santiago,

On 3.8.2010 22:13, Santiago Álvarez Martínez wrote:
> Everything went OK, until I had to import the org.postgresql.util package, to use the PGobject class, in a UserType Hibernate class.
>
> I got the following errors:

Is this run-time or compile-time error? What is the exact command you
issue before you get this error?

-Ognjen