Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Magnus Anderson <ma...@sonic2000.org> on 2006/11/06 19:49:04 UTC

AWL Rule not Kicking in

Hi,

I have enabled AWL on my SpamAssassin configuration

----- local.cf
# Store AWL in MySQL
auto_whitelist_factory          Mail::SpamAssassin::SQLBasedAddrList
user_awl_dsn                    DBI:mysql:spamassassin:localhost
user_awl_sql_username           spamassassin
user_awl_sql_password           xxxxxx
user_awl_sql_table              awl

----- v310.cf
# AWL - do auto-whitelist checks
#
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL

It stores and reads AWL scores from the MySQL DB, so it does work.
But I never see any single thing about AWL scores in my incomming emails
that I get. Not even in the ones that are tagged as SPAM.

What I understand I don't have to enable it in my user_prefs file any
longer since it's on by default to be used.

Do I need any certain amount of records from one address before it's
kicking in, or what?

I can't seem to find anything in the Wiki about this either, so if
someone could be so kind to point me in the right direction I would be
happy.

-- Magnus

Re: AWL Rule not Kicking in

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Magnus Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have enabled AWL on my SpamAssassin configuration
>
> ----- local.cf
> # Store AWL in MySQL
> auto_whitelist_factory          Mail::SpamAssassin::SQLBasedAddrList
> user_awl_dsn                    DBI:mysql:spamassassin:localhost
> user_awl_sql_username           spamassassin
> user_awl_sql_password           xxxxxx
> user_awl_sql_table              awl
>
> ----- v310.cf
> # AWL - do auto-whitelist checks
> #
> loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL
>
> It stores and reads AWL scores from the MySQL DB, so it does work.
> But I never see any single thing about AWL scores in my incomming emails
> that I get. Not even in the ones that are tagged as SPAM.

You shouldn't expect to see AWL often with spam, because you don't often
receive multiple spam from the same sender.  For me AWL hits for 3% of
spam and 50% of ham.

> What I understand I don't have to enable it in my user_prefs file any
> longer since it's on by default to be used.
>
> Do I need any certain amount of records from one address before it's
> kicking in, or what?

You only need one existing record for the awl to kick in.

> I can't seem to find anything in the Wiki about this either, so if
> someone could be so kind to point me in the right direction I would be
> happy.

When I first set up AWL with SQL, I tried sending several messages to
myself to see if it would kick in, but it never did.  Then I sent myself
a message with a URL that I knew would trigger a rule and then I saw it
working.  The reason I didn't see it before was because every message
had the same spam score, so no AWL adjustment was needed.  To test the
AWL you need to receive two e-mail from the same sender that will
produce different spam scores.

--
Chris