Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/16 18:26:31 UTC

Hi,

I though that a POST for a form returning Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded must have a Content-length (and no
Transfer-Encoding: chunked). But I can't find this in any documentation
about it.

Any hints?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded and Content-length

Posted by Henrik Nordstrom <he...@henriknordstrom.net>.
On tis, 2007-10-16 at 18:26 +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> I though that a POST for a form returning Content-Type:
> application/x-www-form-urlencoded must have a Content-length (and no
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked). But I can't find this in any documentation
> about it.

It's either content-length or chunked. One MUST be used. Content-length
is strongly preferred if possible as many servers, proxies and
application gateways can't handle chunked requests, but not possible if
the POST:er want's to apply gzip compression or other tranfer encoding
to the request.

Regards
Henrik

Re: Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded and Content-length

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:26:31 +0200
jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I though that a POST for a form returning Content-Type:
> application/x-www-form-urlencoded must have a Content-length (and no
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked). But I can't find this in any
> documentation about it.

Perhaps you're thinking of the CGI spec, which pre-dates
chunked encoding and promises a Content-Length.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/