Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jon Smirl <jo...@mediaone.net> on 2000/02/28 19:18:52 UTC

SVG and XWindows

Is there any work being done on a renderer for SVG that will generate GIF or
PNG? If so, I'd like to put a vote in for this being done without references
to AWT or Java2D.  The problem with AWT is that it uses an XWindows session
for drawing. This is a big problem for a server with hundreds of clients.

For my app I'm using the GD library which provides drawing primitives
without relying on XWindows or GDI.  The downside is it's written in C.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@mediaone.net

Re: SVG and XWindows

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
> Is there any work being done on a renderer for SVG that will generate GIF
or
> PNG? If so, I'd like to put a vote in for this being done without
references
> to AWT or Java2D.  The problem with AWT is that it uses an XWindows
session
> for drawing. This is a big problem for a server with hundreds of clients.

Even if you use Xvfb ?

> For my app I'm using the GD library which provides drawing primitives
> without relying on XWindows or GDI.  The downside is it's written in C.

And there's no algo for anti-aliasing, etc ...
We shouldn't reinvent the wheel.

Eric.

> Jon Smirl
> jonsmirl@mediaone.net