Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu> on 2003/08/23 15:19:47 UTC

COMMITTED supported?

Hi.

Keyword does not seem to be supported you as of version 0.27

svn diff -r COMMITTED myfile.c
svn: Incorrect parameters given
svn: Sorry, svn_client_diff was called in a way that is not yet supported.
svn: do_diff: COMMITTED nomenclature not supported

Will it be supported in 0.28?

--
Dmitri Priimak

Re: COMMITTED supported?

Posted by Benjamin Pflugmann <be...@pflugmann.de>.
On Sun 2003-08-24 at 07:40:02 -0700, you wrote
> >Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu> writes:
> >>Keyword does not seem to be supported you as of version 0.27
> >>
> >>svn diff -r COMMITTED myfile.c
> >>svn: Incorrect parameters given
> >>svn: Sorry, svn_client_diff was called in a way that is not yet supported.
> >>svn: do_diff: COMMITTED nomenclature not supported
> >>
> >>Will it be supported in 0.28?

Nope, quite certainly not...

> I guess I misunderstood how it works. What I am trying to accomplish is.
> Let say I want to see diff of the last commit vs. commit before the last
> one of file so I say 'svn diff -r PREV:COMMITTED myfile.c' I understand
> that it suppose to do the same as 'svn diff -r PREV:HEAD myfile.c' or
> just plain 'svn diff -r PREV myfile.c'. If I don't have my WC then I
> should use PREV:HEAD with URL to a file or a part of repository.

...but why is a fix in 0.28 important when there are easy
work-arounds?

> Anyway.  PREV:COMMITTED should work or not? And what are those
> supported functions with COMMITTED?

I don't know, but simply read the error message again:

  svn: Sorry, svn_client_diff was called in a way that is not *yet* supported.
  svn: do_diff: COMMITTED nomenclature not supported
  (*emphasis* mine)

I understand that means, someone made an explicit check for COMMITTED
and made svn it print this message in that case. If the developer
thought it to be an unreasonable argument, he would probably have
chosen a different error, not one suggesting that it might/will be
supported later.

Well, let's see... the check was part of the following commit

rev 6657:  cmpilato | 2003-08-07 02:28:22 +0200 (Thu, 07 Aug 2003) | 14 lines

Re-org the guts behind svn_client_diff() for easier readability and,
in theory, expanded support.  This is somehow in conjunction with
issue #1142 - svn diff cannot compare a wc file vs a revision in
another branch.  It passes 'make check' ... miraculously.

* subversion/libsvn_client/diff.c
  (unsupported_diff_error): Was polite_error().  Also, remove 'pool'
    argument.
  (diff_wc_wc, diff_repos_wc, diff_repos_repos): New, though
    esseeeeentially cored out of do_diff().
  (do_diff): Core the ugliness out of this function, and make it
    effectively just a setup routine that runs one of three other
    functions based on the type of diff we need to perform.

But there was already a comment beforehand, which said that
URL@committed would fail (nothing about WC, though).

It looks like support for COMMITTED is not hard to do, but I do not
really now much about that code. Not sure, why cmpilato decided to
prevent COMMITTED from used at all resp. why there seems to be no
issue to fix that behaviour at a later time. That would best be
answered by himself, I guess.

Bye,

	Benjamin.

Re: COMMITTED supported?

Posted by Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Dmitri Priimak <pr...@stanford.edu> writes:
>
>>>Perhaps 'svn diff -r PREV:BASE file.c' is what you're looking for?
>>>/Tobias
>>
>>May be, but isn't PREV:COMMITTED should work?
>

> To be honest, I'm not sure if we ever implemented the COMMITTED
> keyword.  Is it documented somewhere?

When I run 'svn help diff' it shows it as an avilable option.

> I can't think of a circumstance
> when it would be different from BASE, but maybe I'm just not being
> creative enough?...

May be it should be removed from help printout?

--
Dmitri Priimak

Re: COMMITTED supported?

Posted by plasma <pl...@pchome.com.tw>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:22:12AM -0500, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:
> > COMMITTED and BASE have been around forever.  The only difference is
> > whether or not you're talking about a text-base, or the specific
> > repository revision.... i.e., do you hit the server or not.
> Hmmm.  What circumstance would cause a server hit for one but not the
> other?

When you don't have a wc around?  I want to see diff between two
revisions of a repo, doesn't mean I need to have a wc from that
repo.

And from 'svn help diff', I don't see why svn should reject the use
of 'svn -r PREV:COMMITTED http://host/repo/path/to/a/file'.

Just my two cents.

plasma

 �K�O�۫ݧA�����R�^��
 http://edm-prg.epaper.com.tw/click.php?ad_code=20023

Re: COMMITTED supported?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: COMMITTED supported?

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 11:52 PM -0500 8/24/03, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>COMMITTED and BASE have been around forever.  The only difference is
>whether or not you're talking about a text-base, or the specific
>repository revision.... i.e., do you hit the server or not.

So, for example, you're saying that issue 1361 ('svn cat file -r BASE
contacts repository') could be rephrased "svn cat file -r BASE does
-r COMMITTED instead"?

Sounds like "forever" is a more flexible notion here than some places:

At 9:54 PM -0500 8/24/03, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>To be honest, I'm not sure if we ever implemented the COMMITTED keyword.

As for this:

At 9:54 PM -0500 8/24/03, kfogel@collab.net (et al) wrote:
>I can't think of a circumstance
>when it would be different from BASE, but maybe I'm just not being
>creative enough?...

What about suspected working copy horkage?  I can recall many
discreditable occasions in my past lives when (had I been using
Subversion at the time) I'd have been very interested in
	svn diff -rCOMMITTED:BASE

P'rhaps a post-1.0 sweep is in order, to make sure that all -r's
support both COMMITTED and BASE (and get them straight, and never
ever support COMMITTEED ;-).
--
-==-
Jack Repenning