Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Srinivasan, Gopinath" <gs...@cbisonline.com> on 2006/06/28 19:09:15 UTC

Evaluating SVN software

Hi

I am trying to evaluate SVN source control software package for our
internal use.

We are running file server on windows 2000 SP4

Based on FAQ, It seems like SVN can not host the repository on Windows
2000 server.

Please advise

Thanks
Gopinath Srinivasan

**** Important Notice ****
For the protection of our participants, Christian Brothers Investment Services, Inc.
 DOES NOT ACCEPT INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING PARTICIPANT ACCOUNTS BY E-MAIL
 and CBIS policy does not permit employees to transmit CBIS or participant policy decisions,
 participant account instructions, or information such as account names, numbers, custody
 numbers, PIN�s, or other identifying information by email.  CBIS strongly recommends that
 participants refrain from email transmission of such information.

The information contained in this transmission is confidential.
  It is intended for the sole use of the addressee.
  CBIS reserves the right to monitor all electronic correspondence sent to or by CBIS.

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
How about evaluating it yourself? (instead of filling my mailbox with
the same quote over and over....)

After all, you're the only one to determine if it fits you. All
companies big and small do that.

RE: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by "Srinivasan, Gopinath" <gs...@cbisonline.com>.
 Thanks

> The Subversion server (i.e., the repository side) is the same, except
> that it will not host a Berkeley DB repository on Win9x platforms
> (Win95/Win98/WinME), because Berkeley DB has shared-memory segment
> problems on Win9x.

You can keep quoting it to me all you want, it doesn't change the fact
that nowhere in that sentence does it say a damn thing about windows
2000.

-garrett

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

RE: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by "Srinivasan, Gopinath" <gs...@cbisonline.com>.
Thanks

On 6/28/2006 4:29 PM, Srinivasan, Gopinath wrote:

> The Subversion server (i.e., the repository side) is the same, except
> that it will not host a Berkeley DB repository on Win9x platforms
> (Win95/Win98/WinME), because Berkeley DB has shared-memory segment
> problems on Win9x.

Windows 2000 is based on NT, not on Win9x.  This doesn't apply to you.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.
You don't want to use Berkley if you don't have to.  Use FSFS (pronounced
fuzz-fuzz).  FSFS is default on 1.3.x for all repository creation.

Johnathan

RE: Evaluating SVN software

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

RE: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by "Srinivasan, Gopinath" <gs...@cbisonline.com>.
Subversion is written in ANSI C and uses APR, the Apache Portable
Runtime library, as a portability layer. The Subversion client will run
anywhere APR runs, which is most places. The Subversion server (i.e.,
the repository side) is the same, except that it will not host a
Berkeley DB repository on Win9x platforms (Win95/Win98/WinME), because
Berkeley DB has shared-memory segment problems on Win9x. FSFS
repositories (introduced in version 1.1) do not have this restriction;
however, due to a limitation in Win9x's file-locking support, they also
don't work in Win9x.

To reiterate, the Subversion client can be run on any platform where APR
runs. The Subversion server can also be run on any platform where APR
runs, but cannot host a repository on Win95/Win98/WinMe.

If it works in Windows 2000, please send me instructions to setup server
& client

Thanks

Gopinath Srinivasan

> I am trying to evaluate SVN source control software package for our
> internal use.
>
> We are running file server on windows 2000 SP4
>
> Based on FAQ, It seems like SVN can not host the repository on Windows

> 2000 server.

Where exactly in the FAQ did you see that?

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 6/28/06, Srinivasan, Gopinath <gs...@cbisonline.com> wrote:
> I am trying to evaluate SVN source control software package for our internal
> use.
>
> We are running file server on windows 2000 SP4
>
> Based on FAQ, It seems like SVN can not host the repository on Windows 2000
> server.

It works perfectly fine.  I host SVN repositories on both Windows 2000
and XP Pro, both served via Apache 2.0.55 (which also works perfectly
fine on these OSes).

Re: Evaluating SVN software

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 28, 2006, at 21:15, Srinivasan, Gopinath wrote:

> If it works in Windows 2000, please send me instructions to setup
> server & client

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.intro.install.html

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html#windows

http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/