Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Igor Sapego <is...@apache.org> on 2018/10/24 15:40:30 UTC

Legal advise on including Visual C++ Redistributable package into ODBC installer

Hi guys,

I need your advice here. As some of you probably know we have
Windows installers for ODBC in our binary releases, so users won't need
to build Ignite C++ if all they want is to install and use our ODBC driver.
However, as we build driver with MSVC 10 when we are preparing our
binary release, user should have Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable package
for it to work properly. If they do not, it just do not work, not giving any
human-readable errors, which is very confusing to a user.

So my idea was to check for required package during installation and
give user a download link to a proper package. However, on the WiX
website there are articles on how to include the package into installer [1].
So I've thought that maybe this is even the better way to solve a problem.

So thus is my question, is it OK from the legal standpoint, if we will
distribute
installer, that includes Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable package? We are not
going to put any binaries under the source control, of course.

Can anyone help?

[1] -
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/redistributables_and_install_checks/install_vcredist.html

Best Regards,
Igor

Re: Legal advise on including Visual C++ Redistributable package into ODBC installer

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor, Denis,

Feel free to CC me in every request to a mailing list(s) or mention LEGAL
ticket you'll create..

I would be happy to help, but it is not likely I would have spare cycles to
drive this topic.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.