Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2014/11/13 23:31:02 UTC

Criteria for moving an api/provider from a labs repo to core

The labs repos have caused us considerable pain in terms of user confusion, releases, and code maintenance.

It’s tempting to come up a sprawling proposal that attempts to fix the whole problem at once but I’d rather try to come up with just *one* thing that will help fix it. Then we discuss it, make a decision, and record that decision under our Best Practices [1]. We try to keep the discussion focused on that one thing. After we’ve decided on that one thing, we move on to the next thing. Hopefully sooner than later, we’ll have a bunch of things that help us solve a problem.

One thing that would help fix the problem with labs repos is if we had some kind of criteria for moving an api/provider from a labs repo to core. An unambiguous-as-possible set of criteria that made it clear to all developers that an api/provider is ready to move from a labs repo to core.

Let’s discuss it.

Regards,
Everett

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Best%20Practices

Re: Criteria for moving an api/provider from a labs repo to core

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
One such criteria could be having someone listed under Stewards [1] for that api/provider.

The big wrinkle here is jclouds-labs-aws which has no Stewards except for glacier. It’s one of our most used providers although I don’t really know how much the other aws stuff in labs gets used. I’m not sure how to reconcile that.

Everett

P.S. Reply to this email to discuss Stewards. Reply to the original email to suggest another criteria.

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Stewards