Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Spadez <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2013/05/11 13:56:02 UTC

Solr - Best Java Combination for performance?

Hi,

I was wondering, what setup have people had the most luck with from a
performance point of view?

Tomcat Vs Jetty
Open JDK vs Oracle JDK

I haven't been able to find any information online to backup any sort of
performance claims. I am planning on using Tomcat with Open JDK, has anyone
had any experience with this and is it a wise path to go down?

Thanks!

Re: Solr - Best Java Combination for performance?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

These days I get to see which Java people run not only through
consulting clients at Sematext, but also because a lot of Solr, ES,
etc. people are using our performance monitoring service.  When they
send us info about their systems I get to see which Java they are
running and these days I am seeing probably > 50% OpenJDK, and the
rest is Oracle.  I haven't seen anyone run IBM's Java for many years
now.  I also don't see JRockit or Zing.

We run all our stuff on Oracle's Java and a mixture of CentOS and Ubuntu.

Otis

Posted by Jason Hellman <jh...@innoventsolutions.com>.

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Of course you may have some reasons to use Tomcat or anything else (i.e.
your stuff may have more experience at Tomcat etc.) However developers
generally runs Jetty because it is default for Solr and I should point that
Solr unit tests run against jetty (in fact, a specific version of Jetty)
and well tested (if you search in mail list you can find some conversations
about it). If you follow Solr developer list you may realize it for
example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4716 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4584?focusedCommentId=13625276&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13625276can
show that there maybe some bugs for non Jetty containers and if you
choose any other container except for Jetty you can hit one of them.

If you want to look at the comparison of Jetty vs. Tomcat I suggest you
look at here:

http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/257366/Power-Java-based-web-apps-with-Jetty-application-server

and here:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/08/google-chose-jetty

On the other if you have any future plans for Solr you may want to look at
a conversation for Solr:
http://search-lucene.com/m/vsUcqf7VJ1/%2522VOTE%253A+solr+no+longer+webapp%2522&subj=Re+VOTE+solr+no+longer+webapp

If we talk about JDK, I suggest you Oracle JDK. You may read an old message
about it here:
http://search-lucene.com/m/B06lalj3Xs/openjdk+or+sunjdk&subj=any+experiences+with+running+SOLR+on+OpenJDK+

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/11/2013 5:56 AM, Spadez wrote:
> Tomcat Vs Jetty
> Open JDK vs Oracle JDK
>
> I haven't been able to find any information online to backup any sort of
> performance claims. I am planning on using Tomcat with Open JDK, has anyone
> had any experience with this and is it a wise path to go down?

I use the stripped-down Jetty that's included in Solr.  I have upgraded
it to a newer 8.1 point release than what's included in the 4.x
download, but that's it.  For my remaining 3.5 servers, I am using the
patched Jetty 6 that's included in the download.

I use Jetty over another container for a few main reasons:

- It's very lightweight.
-- Lighter than a full jetty install.
-- Definitely lighter than tomcat.
- The config has been lightly tuned for good results with Solr.
- I don't have much experience with other containers.
- It's used EXTENSIVELY in Solr's JUnit test framework.

There have been a lot of bugs over the years along the lines of "This
feature doesn't work in X, but it works in Jetty" ... and "X" is usually
Tomcat.  General problems and problems specific to Jetty are caught VERY
quickly by Solr's test suite, but other containers don't receive much
testing before release.

As for JVM, I use Oracle.  They (via Sun) created it, and they maintain
it.  It's the version that's least likely to have problems.  As I watch
the development list and Jira activity, I see more reports about bugs in
the IBM and OpenJDK versions than I do about bugs in the Oracle version.
 IBM is far worse than OpenJDK.

Lucene/Solr code is particularly good at tripping JVM bugs, and when
they are found in the Oracle JVM, they usually affect all of the JVMs,
not just Oracle.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't recall any
at the moment.

This next claim is entirely subjective, I have no concrete information
either way:  Oracle seems to put out fixes for major bugs faster than
any of the others, including OpenJDK.  I can't believe I'm saying that
about something that's not open source. :)

Thanks,
Shawn