Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2006/05/12 21:26:45 UTC

Need a new Forms Sample (and other improvements to forms)

Based on my experiences with CForms, I have to say that I am very
frustrated.  Yet at this point we are committed.  I think something that
would greatly reduce my frustrations as well as other potential users is
a full soup to nuts explanation of how to set up forms for your existing
application from scratch.  Next, and possibly just as important, how to
use CForms to do tag management like del.ico.us and Flickr.  There
should be three tracks depending on what you bind your form to.  I'm not
the guy to do it because I am completely lost and I can't seem to make
heads or tails of where I am in the process or what is going wrong.

Now, as to improvements to forms, there are some things that are
absolutely necessary in order to make use of CForms.  First, is a
special type of sitemap.  An extension, if you will, that automatically
adds the matchers necessary to resolve the javascript resources instead
of relying on people to set that up themselves.  It would also include
the declarations for the CForm specific
generators/selectors/serializers/transformers/etc.

Additionally, there are two ways to set up forms depending on whether
AJAX is enabled or not.  Typically you have a generator followed by a
transformer.  Why not make one forms generator that handles that for you
(i.e. auto-chains the necessary transformations right after the source
is generated ala JX script)?  Also there is a transformation followed by
a choice of serializer.  Again, why not have a forms serializer that
takes care of the final transformation and choice of serializer for you?

It took me a week of trial and error to figure out why things were only
partially working on an upload form.  I finally have it working, but the
AJAX enabled portion is not doing its job right.  There is more trial
and error and I don't have another week to futz with it.

At this point, I'm going to have to give up on doing things the CForms
way and hack together something that is far less elegant but I know will
work.  At least I will be able to report progress.  I'm sharing these
observations in the hopes that we can avoid having more folks as
frustrated as me.

--
*Berin Loritsch*
Owner