Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Suneel <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/20 11:58:00 UTC

Solr Monitoring Tool

Hi,

I am want to configure solr performance monitoring tool i surf a lot and
found some tool like "zabbix, SolrGaze"
but i am not able to decide which tool is better.

I want integrated alerting option in tools so that i can received a message
whether website performance going down or in case of exception.

Please help me, this will be very helpful for me.

Thanks

-----
Regards,

Suneel Pandey
Sr. Software Developer

Re: Solr Monitoring Tool

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Suneel,

there's many monitoring tools out there.
Zabbix is one of them, it is in PHP.
I think SolrGaze as well (not sure).
I've been using HypericHQ, which is pure java, and I have been satisfied with it though it leaves some space for enhancement.
Other names include Nagios, also in PHP, and RRDtools/Munin (Perl).

For any of them you can define alerts based on thresholds on certain values (e.g. mean page load time).

If you search around, which I've done recently, you will find many many other tools which offer "incomplete" solutions, often more oriented to data collections or data views (e.g. Graphite)

paul

Re: Solr Monitoring Tool

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hooking up Zabbix with Solr's / Java's JMX support is very powerful.

On Jul 20, 2012, at 5:58 AM, Suneel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am want to configure solr performance monitoring tool i surf a lot and
> found some tool like "zabbix, SolrGaze"
> but i am not able to decide which tool is better.
>
> I want integrated alerting option in tools so that i can received a message
> whether website performance going down or in case of exception.
>
> Please help me, this will be very helpful for me.
>
> Thanks
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> Suneel Pandey
> Sr. Software Developer

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: Solr Monitoring Tool

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
Hi,

I started with SysUsage http://sysusage.darold.net/ which grabs all system activities
using unix Sar and system commands. Pretty easy and simple.

I also tried zabbix. Very powerful but for me to much to configure.

Have now munin 2.0.2 installed for testing. Needs some perl knowledge to get
it configured right with fast-cgi and dynamic pages.
Munin has also problem reporting (critical, warning, unknown) and can work together
with nagios, if you already have nagios in use.

Regards,
Bernd

Re: Solr Monitoring Tool

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Also, newrelic.com has a saas-based Solr monitor. This and Sematec are
the least work

We use Zabbix internally in LucidWorks Cloud. We picked it for a
production site because it connects to JMX, monitors & archives,
graphs, and sends alerts. We could not find anything else that did all
of these well. The JMX interface specification for Zabbix is included
in our free LucidWorks download at
http://www.lucidimagination.com/downloads

--
Lance Norskog