Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Stefan Comanita <co...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/05 16:26:42 UTC

disabling the WAL from the config file

Hi,

I am kinda new to the underlying part of HBase and I have a
question which seems trivial to me but i wasn't able to find an answer
for it, so here it goes: "how do I disable the Write Ahead Wall (WAL)
from the config file ?" i know about the setWriteToWAL(boolean) but i
would like to do it from a config file.

Setting one or all of the
 parameters hbase.regionserver.logroll.period,
hbase.regionserver.optionallogflushinterva,
hbase.regionserver.flushlogentries to 0 will do the trick ?

Thank
 you.

Comanita Stefan

Re: disabling the WAL from the config file

Posted by Friso van Vollenhoven <fv...@xebia.com>.
Hi Comanita,

The WAL on/off setting is not global. You need to use the API to enable / disable WAL for each put that you do [ Put#setWriteToWAL(boolean) ].

I don't know what will happen when you set the flushlogentries to 0, but those options are not meant for switching off WAL.

Friso