Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/04/27 21:28:51 UTC

QueryElevationComponent

In the QueryElevComponent (QEC) it currently throws an exception if
the input Query is null (line 329).    Additionally, I've seen cases
where it's possible that the Query is not null (q is not set, but
q.alt is *:*), but the rb.getQueryString() is null, which causes an
NPE on line 300 or so.

I'd like to suggest that if the Query is empty/null, the QEC should
just go on it's merry way as if there is nothing to do.  I don't think
a lack of query means that the QEC is improperly configured, as the
exception message implies:
	The QueryElevationComponent needs to be registered 'after' the query
component

We should be making sure the QEC is properly registered during
initialization time.

Thoughts?

-Grant