Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Joel Carklin <jo...@beach.co.za> on 2004/06/03 11:37:29 UTC

Can Axis use an already instatiated class

Hi All,

I'm very new to axis and WS in general.
I'm trying to publish a web service using a wsdd file. My problem is
that the class referenced in the file (<parameter name="className"
value="samples.userguide.example3.MyService"/>) needs to be instantiated
with certain configuration options. Axis itself is 'embedded' in another
custom application which uses configuration files and instantiates an
object based on these files when it starts up. Axis itself does not have
access to these files. Is there any way to either tell Axis that an
instance of this class already exists and it should use that instance
rather creating a new one? Or alternatively, somehow pass config
parameters to Axis, to be used when it is instantiating the class?

Thanks
Joel

Re: Can Axis use an already instatiated class

Posted by Biörn Biörnstad <bi...@vis.ethz.ch>.
Hi Joel

A Simple solution to your problem would be to write a wrapper for your object.
Register this wrapper class as service in Axis. When the wrapper is instanciated
(by Axis) it looks up the service object (depends on where your object is
registered. Use JNDI, a static method or some other directory) and saves the
reference. Later on, when the wrapper is invoked, it just forwards the request.

Bioern