Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by si...@tcs.com on 2018/11/12 16:38:11 UTC

[users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.0 UNIX Solaris

Dear Team,

I have installed and set up httpd 2.0.65 version of apache server on
Solaris 11 and is running good and fine without the mod_example.so module.
I have compiled the mod_example.so module on httpd 2.0.65 with APR 0.9.20
and APR-UTIL 0.9.19. So when I load the module, there came the problem
while running, /usr/local/apache2.0.65/bin/apachectl start with an error

quartz: /usr/local/apache2.0.65/bin >
/usr/local/apache2.0.65/bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 5 of
/usr/local/apache2.0.65/conf/extra/httpd-quartz.conf:
API module structure 'example_module' in file
/app/quartz/COMS/EAI_324/ph/http/bin/mod_example.so is garbled - expected
signature 41503230 but saw 00000000 - perhaps this is not an Apache module
DSO, or was compiled for a different Apache version?

Please respond at the earliest

Thanks & Regards
Ankit Singhal
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.0 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Dear Team,

In the following error:
API module structure 'example_module' in file
/app/quartz/COMS/EAI_324/ph/http/bin/mod_example.so is garbled - expected
signature 41503230 but saw 00000000 - perhaps this is not an Apache module
DSO, or was compiled for a different Apache version?
My module comes out to be garbled and signature is 00000000 in place of
41503230.

My main concern is why my module signature is coming out to be 00000000.

Following is the compilation steps of Module:

$(OBJ)/mod_example.o: mod_example_multiOU.c
        $(CCOMP) -g -KPIC -DSHARED_MODULE -DEAPI
-I/oracle8i/oracle8i/Tuxedo11/include/ $(CCFLAGS) $(COMS_INCLUDE)
$(COMSCFLAGS) $(MORECFLAGS) -c mod_example
_multiOU.c -o $@

$(LIB)/mod_example.so: $(UOBJS1)
        $(CC) -G -L/home4/eaidev/coms/EAI_323/lib -D__USEFML32__
-I${TUXDIR}/include -L${TUXDIR}/lib -lwsc -lbuft -lwsc  -lgpnet  -lfml
-lfml32 -lengine $(CC
FLAGS) $(MORECFLAGS) $(UOBJS1) -L/home4/eaidev/coms/EAI_323/lib -lCOutils
-lCODbutils $(ORACLE_LIBS) $(XERCES_LIBS) -lCrun -lCstd -ltux -o $@

Compiler : /ora12c/oracle8i/oracle81/solarisstudio12.3/bin/CC

Thanks & Regards
Ankit Singhal
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: singhal.ankit@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Consulting

From:   singhal.ankit@tcs.com
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   12-11-2018 13:38
Subject:        [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to
2.0 UNIX Solaris

"External email. Open with Caution"

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
You are absolutely right, there is a NULL quadword at the expected position
of the module signature. How this happened is the question.

Could it be possible that you are still compiling against httpd 1.3 include
files? The ordering of the module structure has changed. If the -I include
paths are correct, this shouldn't happen, but if you have an installed very
old httpd in place in the system paths, and the compiler isn't treating the
-I include paths in priority, this would happen.

From:   Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   14-11-2018 15:58
Subject:        Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3
to 2.0 UNIX Solaris

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>.
It's been years since I wrote any modules, so I won't be able to assist further.  Consider repeating the module load test on a "clean" host (Linux Live DVD or such?) that never had anything BUT Apache 2.4 on it.  Good luck!

Rick Houser
Web Engineer

I have used the same apxs binary that is available in the installed path of apache 2.4
/usr/local/apache2.4.34/bin/apxs

Mailto: singhal.ankit@tcs.com<ma...@tcs.com>
Website: http://www.tcs.com<http://www.tcs.com/>

From:        "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>>
To:        "users@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>" <us...@httpd.apache.org>>
Date:        14-11-2018 16:23
________________________________

"External email. Open with Caution"
Did you use the apxs binary compiled with 2.4.34, or could you have executed an older copy, creating a module for an earlier HTTP product?

Rick Houser
Web Engineer

From:        "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>>
To:        "users@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>" <us...@httpd.apache.org>>
Date:        13-11-2018 14:40
________________________________

[...]

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Hi Dennis,

I can get the httpd service running if I do not load my
module(example_module)

If I comment this module then apache starts running. So the problem is
with my module only. Maybe I am missing something from the configuration
point.

Here "s = 0x1 "<bad address 0x00000001>"" and it is passing as
cmd->name(command_rec). Maybe apache is not able to get the name of
command_rec directive.

Thanks & Regards
Ankit

From:   "Dennis Clarke" <dc...@blastwave.org>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   08-01-2019 16:58
to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

"External email. Open with Caution"

> Could you please suggest whether need to make more entries in the
> httpd.conf of command entries?

Can you get the httpd service running without any modifications and
  without excessive modules ?

Dennis

=====-----=====-----=====

Posted by Dennis Clarke <dc...@blastwave.org>.
> Could you please suggest whether need to make more entries in the
> httpd.conf of command entries?

Can you get the httpd service running without any modifications and
  without excessive modules ?

Dennis

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Hi William,

Thank you for the response.

I have compiled the code with -g option.

Please find the excerpts from the code and httpd.conf file:

Code declaration:
static const command_rec example_cmds[] =
{
    ("SCENARIO",CallScenarioName,NULL,RSRC_CONF,"Define scenario name"),
    {NULL}
};
module  MODULE_VAR_EXPORT example_module =
{
STANDARD20_MODULE_STUFF,
    create_example_dir_config,  /* per-directory config creator */
    NULL,   /* dir config merger */
    example_create_server_config,       /* server config creator */
    NULL,        /* server config merger */
    example_cmds,               /* command table */
    register_hooks,           /* [7] list of handlers */
};

httpd.conf:
<IfModule example_module>
    SCENARIO WEBUI_DEFAULTOPEN
</IfModule>

<Location /COMSHTTPS>
        SetHandler example-handler
</Location>

From:   "William A Rowe Jr" <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   08-01-2019 14:57
to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

"External email. Open with Caution"
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM <si...@tcs.com> wrote:

I have migrated a user module mod_example from 1.3 to 2.4. But when I try
to start the apache it is giving a segmentation fault and creating a core.

Following is the stacktrace while debug:
t@1 (l@1) signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in strlen at
0xfefcceb8
0xfefcceb8: strlen+0x0018:      ldub     [%o2], %o1
Current function is apr_pstrdup
   77       len = strlen(s) + 1;
(dbx) where
  [1] strlen(0x1, 0xed568, 0x1, 0xed558, 0x1, 0x0), at 0xfefcceb8
=>[2] apr_pstrdup(a = 0xb8190, s = 0x1 "<bad address 0x00000001>"), line
77 in "apr_strings.c"
  [3] ap_add_module_commands(m = 0xfebc80d8, p = <value unavailable>),
line 546 in "config.c"
  [4] ap_add_module(m = 0xfebc80d8, p = 0xb8190, sym_name = <value
unavailable>), at 0x5db30
  [5] ap_add_loaded_module(mod = 0xfebc80d8, p = 0xb8190, short_name =
0xed510 "example_module"), line 713 in "config.c"
  [6] load_module(cmd = 0xffbfec90, dummy = <value unavailable>, modname =
0xed510 "example_module", filename = <value unavailable>), line 302 in
"mod_so.c"

This is happening while loading a user module that I created:
LoadModule example_module modules/mod_example.so

Please provide your valuable insight into it so that I can go forward.

The info above is a bit limited in diagnosing the specifics of source code
you didn't share, and we aren't that great at divining the invisible, so
two
thoughts for you; first build an httpd/apr/your module with CFLAGS -g -O0.
Sometimes you can only reproduce a crash with an optimized build, but
the -g flag always remains useful in this regard (and objcopy can strip
those symbols for general distribution.) I'm guessing the above was built
with '-g' but with some '-O', optimizing out some of the args that might
have been helpful.

Since we can't see above which command in your command_rec array
caused this segfault, we can see you had an invalid string element.

Line 546 of config.c tripped over your input. config.c:546 was trying to;
        dir = apr_pstrdup(tpool, cmd->name);

This suggests you added a command to the list without an actual char*
string name value.

Compare your command_rec list with the templates of the various
AP_INIT_* macros to ensure you provided valid initializers... only
static const array values. Ensure you NULL terminate that list.

=====-----=====-----=====

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Dennis Clarke <dc...@blastwave.org>.
On 1/8/19 1:29 PM, singhal.ankit@tcs.com wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Thank you for the response..!!

Right, that is an old Sun sparc "coolthreads" server of some sort.
Looks like Solaris 11.

> I do not exactly understand by toolchain? Could you please elaborate
> more of what information I can provide?

Essentially all the tools you are using to build the software with.
Don't worry about it.  I think the apache 1.3 is provided by Oracle
out of the box. Same with some rev of 2.x but I have never looked at
it as I always just build my own.

Given that you say "understand by toolchain" as a question I'll take
this out of the mail list just to reduce noise and clutter.

Dennis

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the response..!!

Following are the specifications:

I do not exactly understand by toolchain? Could you please elaborate more
of what information I can provide?

On the same environment, we were running apache 1.3 successfully. In this
we are using a user module(mod_example) to call a Tuxedo server.

From:   "Dennis Clarke" <dc...@blastwave.org>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   08-01-2019 14:56
to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

On 1/8/19 11:48 AM, singhal.ankit@tcs.com wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have migrated a user module mod_example from 1.3 to 2.4. But when I
> try to start the apache it is giving a segmentation fault and creating a

> core.
> Installed binaries:
> Apache 2.4.34
> apr-1.6.5
> apr-util-1.6.1
> pcre-8.40
> expat-2.1.0

Difficult to say from your email but you will most likely need to build
a complete toolchain before running any recent Apache. It shouldn't
matter one way or that other, but it does, are you on SPARC or x86_64?
Also what compiler and toolchain do you have now?

Dennis

=====-----=====-----=====

Posted by Dennis Clarke <dc...@blastwave.org>.
On 1/8/19 11:48 AM, singhal.ankit@tcs.com wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have migrated a user module mod_example from 1.3 to 2.4. But when I
> try to start the apache it is giving a segmentation fault and creating a
> core.
> Installed binaries:
> Apache 2.4.34
> apr-1.6.5
> apr-util-1.6.1
> pcre-8.40
> expat-2.1.0

Difficult to say from your email but you will most likely need to build
a complete toolchain before running any recent Apache. It shouldn't
matter one way or that other, but it does, are you on SPARC or x86_64?
Also what compiler and toolchain do you have now?

Dennis

[users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.4 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Dear All,

I have migrated a user module mod_example from 1.3 to 2.4. But when I try
to start the apache it is giving a segmentation fault and creating a core.
Installed binaries:
Apache 2.4.34
apr-1.6.5
apr-util-1.6.1
pcre-8.40
expat-2.1.0

Following is the stacktrace while debug:
t@1 (l@1) signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in strlen at
0xfefcceb8
0xfefcceb8: strlen+0x0018:      ldub     [%o2], %o1
Current function is apr_pstrdup
   77       len = strlen(s) + 1;
(dbx) where
  [1] strlen(0x1, 0xed568, 0x1, 0xed558, 0x1, 0x0), at 0xfefcceb8
=>[2] apr_pstrdup(a = 0xb8190, s = 0x1 "<bad address 0x00000001>"), line
77 in "apr_strings.c"
  [3] ap_add_module_commands(m = 0xfebc80d8, p = <value unavailable>),
line 546 in "config.c"
  [4] ap_add_module(m = 0xfebc80d8, p = 0xb8190, sym_name = <value
unavailable>), at 0x5db30
  [5] ap_add_loaded_module(mod = 0xfebc80d8, p = 0xb8190, short_name =
0xed510 "example_module"), line 713 in "config.c"
  [6] load_module(cmd = 0xffbfec90, dummy = <value unavailable>, modname =
0xed510 "example_module", filename = <value unavailable>), line 302 in
"mod_so.c"
  [7] invoke_cmd(cmd = 0x8fce4, parms = 0xffbfec90, mconfig = 0xffbfeb94,
args = <value unavailable>), line 938 in "config.c"
  [8] execute_now(cmd_line = <value unavailable>, args = <value
unavailable>, parms = <value unavailable>, p = <value unavailable>, ptemp
= 0xffbfec90, sub_tree = 0xe35a3, parent = 0xe3d28) (inlined), at 0x5e2c4
  [9] ap_build_config_sub(p = <value unavailable>, temp_pool = <value
unavailable>, l = <value unavailable>, parms = 0xed5a8, current = 0xebef8,
curr_parent = (nil), conftree = 0xa9624), line 1167 in "config.c"

Following is the pstack of core:

quartz: /usr/local/apache2/logs > pstack core
core 'core' of 29092:   /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
 fefcceb8 strlen   (b8190, 1, b8190, ed5a8, ebef8, 0) + 18
 0005ca54 ap_add_module_commands (febd8078, a95d8, b8190, ed568, ed598,
febd8164) + 6c
 0005db30 ap_add_module (64, b8190, ed510, dc208, febc75a5, febd8078) +
154
 0005dd18 ap_add_loaded_module (febd8078, b8190, ed510, 7, 41503234,
febd8078) + 10
 0006f31c load_module (ffbfec60, 8fad8, ed510, febd8078, e09c8, 0) + 2b4
 0005c8c0 invoke_cmd (8fce4, ffbfec60, ffbfeb64, e35a3, e3d28, ed510) +
924
 0005e2c4 ap_build_config_sub (e35a3, e3d28, ddbe8, ffbfec60, ffbfebd4,
ffbfebd8) + 200
 0005e90c ap_build_config (ffbfec60, b8190, e3488, a9624, 0, ffbfec60) +
c0
 0005f000 ap_process_resource_config (e01a8, e63b0, a9624, b8190, e3488,
0) + 78
 000600b0 ap_read_config (0, e3488, 830b8, a9624, e01a8, 0) + 24c
 00081fac main     (b8190, a9400, a9400, a8c00, a9400, b6218) + 624
 000382fc _start   (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0) + 5c

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>.

From:        "Houser, Rick" <ri...@jackson.com>>
To:        "users@httpd.apache.org<ma...@httpd.apache.org>" <us...@httpd.apache.org>>
Date:        13-11-2018 14:40
________________________________

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM <si...@tcs.com> wrote:

> Our main objective is to migrate to 2.4. Since I faced an issue while
> doing so, I thought it would be better to first migrate to 2.0 then to 2.2
> and finally to 2.4.

While that is one approach, I'm afraid it won't speed up your exercise; it
is most
direct to get 2.4 going.

> In 2.4 itself the error is same.
>
> The signature created turns out to be 00000000. I could not understand
> this part. I have gone through the internet and there are always some
> definite signature is available but in my case it turned out to be 0.

It is not a loadable library object.  Rather than fighting with cc's flags,
review
the helper utility;

  https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/apxs.html

This will make your life much simpler for compiling and linking loadable
modules. It retains the flags initially used for compiling httpd and
modules, so that the results are consistent.

Re: [users@httpd] URGENT: Apache HTTP Migration from 1.3 to 2.0 UNIX Solaris

Posted by si...@tcs.com.
Dear William,

Thank you very much for the Response.

I am a novice in apache http server.

Our main objective is to migrate to 2.4. Since I faced an issue while
doing so, I thought it would be better to first migrate to 2.0 then to 2.2
and finally to 2.4.

In 2.4 itself the error is same.

The signature created turns out to be 00000000. I could not understand
this part. I have gone through the internet and there are always some
definite signature is available but in my case it turned out to be 0.

Please direct me fruitful direction so that I can investigate more and
complete with this activity.
Tell me one more thing whether I change the subject to Migration from 1.3
to 2.4?

quartz: /usr/local/apache2.4.34/bin > apache2.4 start
httpd: Syntax error on line 490 of
/usr/local/apache2.4.34/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 5 of

From:   "William A Rowe Jr" <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
To:     users@httpd.apache.org
Date:   13-11-2018 13:03
to 2.0 UNIX Solaris

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM <si...@tcs.com> wrote:

> I have installed and set up httpd 2.0.65 version of apache server on
Solaris 11

Speaking for most readers of this list, we wonder why... what would lead
you to such a silly act? Is this in the syllabus/exercises inflicted by a
cruel
teaching assistant?

Since Apache httpd 2.0.65 was released and discontinued over five years
ago, this community discontinued help for it. You are welcome to leave
your
question to be answered by a very helpful person with a long memory, but
you would be much more likely to receive help from the community if you
ask
about any supported version, at least some flavor of 2.4.x, at least one
which
was released this year.

We will offer you a single hint, it wouldn't be wise to try to replicate
each and
every compilation flag to ensure compatibility when building a module.
That's
what the apxs utility script installed alongside httpd is for.[attachment
"noname" deleted by Singhal Ankit/CHN/TCS] [attachment "noname" deleted by
Singhal Ankit/CHN/TCS]

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.