Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2000/09/26 21:02:36 UTC

Re: Apache::DProf tip

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Here's something that might be obvious to others but took me a while to
> figure out:
>
> If you want to get useful profiling information, you need to initialize
> the debugger before your modules get compiled.  If you pull in your
> modules from startup.pl, you can accomplish this by putting a block like
> this in your httpd.conf before the "PerlRequire startup.pl" statement:
>
> <Perl>
>     use Apache::DProf;
>     use Apache::DB;
>     Apache::DB->init;
> </Perl>
>
> The "PerlModule Apache::DProf" directove suggested in the Apache::DProf
> docs also seems to work, but be careful because load order seems to matter
> here.

the Apache::DB docs explain this:

=item init

This function initializes the Perl debugger hooks without actually
starting the interactive debugger.  In order to debug a certain piece
of code, this function must be called before the code you wish debug
is compiled.

--

it should probably be made more clear though, maybe a comment in the
config example.

Re: Apache::DProf tip

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > the Apache::DB docs explain this:
>
> The connection between Apache::DProf and calling something in Apache::DB
> was not obvious to me until I thought about how DProf works.

yeah, i was actually surprised to find that it was documented anywhere ;)

> I'd be happy to write up a little documentation patch for it.  I'll send
> it to you.

that'd be great, thanks!

Re: Apache::DProf tip

Posted by Perrin Harkins <ph...@etoys.com>.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> the Apache::DB docs explain this:

The connection between Apache::DProf and calling something in Apache::DB
was not obvious to me until I thought about how DProf works.

> it should probably be made more clear though, maybe a comment in the
> config example.

I'd be happy to write up a little documentation patch for it.  I'll send
it to you.

- Perrin