Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Daryle Walker <da...@mac.com> on 2001/09/27 07:30:12 UTC

Xerces binaries for Macs?

Hi.  I just joined this list, just so I can ask the following question:

The directions for building Xerces on a Mac system are optimized for people
running Mac OS X systems.  As someone who just has an old pre-X system, I
can't build Xerces anymore.  I was wondering if you can provide pre-built
binaries for Macintosh systems.  I guess we would need versions for Mach-O
(Mac OS X only), Carbon (Mac OS X and pre-X), regular PPC (pre-X), and maybe
regular and CFM 68K (old pre-X).  I heard that there is a "bundle" format
that is really a disguised directory and it can hold multiple platform
versions and header files.  Maybe the Mac experts could put all the Mac
binaries together in that format.

On a related note, why are there such long filenames in Xerces?  The Mac
maximum filename length is 31 characters, giving a 27-char name, a period,
and a three-letter extension.  Summarizing a file should be possible within
27 characters (well, at least better than the 8-letter constraint the
previous short-name holders had.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie

Re: Xerces binaries for Macs?

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
> On a related note, why are there such long filenames in Xerces?  The Mac
> maximum filename length is 31 characters, giving a 27-char name, a period,
> and a three-letter extension.  Summarizing a file should be possible
within
> 27 characters (well, at least better than the 8-letter constraint the
> previous short-name holders had.)

The files names generally name the class that the file implements. This is a
very useful thing to do, and if you do it inconsistently to make up for the
lackings of various platforms, it ruins the usefulness. Other platforms have
even more draconian limitations, so if you give it up for one, where do you
stop? The decision was made early on not to give in to such
sub-optimizations and just do what is best, and allow others to use scripts
on their platforms to deal with the problem as they see fit.

--------------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!"

Re: Xerces binaries for Macs?

Posted by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com>.
On 9/26/01 10:52 PM, "Geoff Coffey" <gc...@wmotion.com> wrote:

> I can send you a CodeWarrior 6 project with the file names properly
> truncated and with build targets for Classic Mac OS, Carbon and Windows, if
> it is helpful. We have made a few small modifications to the source to fix
> bugs in the mac platform support, and I can't promise the fixes are perfect
> in all cases...so be forewarned...

Hi Geoff,

If you've made mods to the Xerces source to fix bugs that you know about in
the mac support, would you please submit patches so that all can benefit? I
don't know of any outstanding bugs in the mac support (apart from the fact
that the codewarrior and project builder projects are not up to date in cvs
currently).

I'll be happy to integrate any fixes you've got.

-jdb

Re: Xerces binaries for Macs?

Posted by Daryle Walker <da...@mac.com>.
on 9/27/01 1:52 AM, Geoff Coffey at gcoffey@wmotion.com wrote:

> On 9/26/01 10:30 PM, "Daryle Walker" <da...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.  I just joined this list, just so I can ask the following question:
>>
>> The directions for building Xerces on a Mac system are optimized for people
>> running Mac OS X systems.  As someone who just has an old pre-X system, I
>> can't build Xerces anymore.  I was wondering if you can provide pre-built
>> binaries for Macintosh systems.  I guess we would need versions for Mach-O
>> (Mac OS X only), Carbon (Mac OS X and pre-X), regular PPC (pre-X), and maybe
>> regular and CFM 68K (old pre-X).  I heard that there is a "bundle" format
>> that is really a disguised directory and it can hold multiple platform
>> versions and header files.  Maybe the Mac experts could put all the Mac
>> binaries together in that format.
>
> I'm new as well, and before I get to asking my questions, let me see if I
> can help you :)
>
> I can send you a CodeWarrior 6 project with the file names properly
> truncated and with build targets for Classic Mac OS, Carbon and Windows, if
> it is helpful. We have made a few small modifications to the source to fix
> bugs in the mac platform support, and I can't promise the fixes are perfect
> in all cases...so be forewarned...

I have CodeWarrior 5, but I think the project files for the two versions are
the same.  Contact me privately to figure out how to send it.

> I can of course also send you the binaries, but these are c++ sources, so
> unless you're using CodeWarrior 6.0, you probably won't be able to link
> against my libraries anyway... (even codewarrior 6.1 won't work).

Yeah, these are libraries, so we have to find a common format that any
compiler can use.  Metrowerks can change their format every version, so that
format isn't useful.  For Mac OS X only, we could make a Mach-O static
library.  For the pre-X systems, maybe we can make static libraries in the
MPW format, which all CodeWarrior versions can accept.

The problem is that CodeWarrior can't make MPW libraries.  We would have to
make a MPW makefile.

Re: Xerces binaries for Macs?

Posted by Geoff Coffey <gc...@wmotion.com>.
On 9/26/01 10:30 PM, "Daryle Walker" <da...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I just joined this list, just so I can ask the following question:
>
> The directions for building Xerces on a Mac system are optimized for people
> running Mac OS X systems.  As someone who just has an old pre-X system, I
> can't build Xerces anymore.  I was wondering if you can provide pre-built
> binaries for Macintosh systems.  I guess we would need versions for Mach-O
> (Mac OS X only), Carbon (Mac OS X and pre-X), regular PPC (pre-X), and maybe
> regular and CFM 68K (old pre-X).  I heard that there is a "bundle" format
> that is really a disguised directory and it can hold multiple platform
> versions and header files.  Maybe the Mac experts could put all the Mac
> binaries together in that format.

I'm new as well, and before I get to asking my questions, let me see if I
can help you :)

I can send you a CodeWarrior 6 project with the file names properly
truncated and with build targets for Classic Mac OS, Carbon and Windows, if
it is helpful. We have made a few small modifications to the source to fix
bugs in the mac platform support, and I can't promise the fixes are perfect
in all cases...so be forewarned...

I can of course also send you the binaries, but these are c++ sources, so
unless you're using CodeWarrior 6.0, you probably won't be able to link
against my libraries anyway... (even codewarrior 6.1 won't work).

Let me know if this would help.

Thanks,

Geoff