Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca> on 2001/04/26 03:35:34 UTC

XSLT-UK follow-up on XML.com

Hi, all

If you're curious about exactly what transpired at the XSLT-UK 2001
conference earlier this month, Jeni Tennison, a well-known XSLT expert, has
posted an article on XML.com. I attended and spoke, not as a company rep or
even a FOP rep, but just as an XSL-FO enthusiast.

Before you crawl all over my case for what you perceive as inaccuracies in
Jeni's summary of what I said, bear in mind that she is an XSLT expert, not
XSL. She did pretty good nonetheless. She also had to condense some fairly
complicated and nuanced subtopics into short sound-bites, and sometimes that
doesn't work too well. I didn't say, for example, that you can't do table of
contents or indices with FO; I said that there is no _explicit_ support.
That's a difference that we understand quite well, but may be difficult to
explain quickly to others.

There's a few other things like that in there, that have me wincing a bit,
but I'll live. :-) The whole conference summary is worth reading, I think
(and I hope). It looks like we should be able to wangle a FOP speaking
presence every time, and it certainly looks like the conference will
continue, so hopefully next time we'll get someone else up on the podium.
Plus increasing familiarity with FO should allow for more detailed &
technical presentations and papers, which are easier to do than sweeping
overviews. :-)

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type