Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org> on 2005/07/01 00:21:09 UTC

GNU make ( was Re: gump.zones.apache.org )

Bill, you asked about GNU make on Solaris. According to [1] it is called
'gmake', and (FWIIW) gmake happens to be on the path. Anybody have thoughts
on if we ought (1) always use gmake not make on solaris, (2) make it
configurable somehow (2) do a hack on this box? Preferences?

regards

Adam

[1]
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/html/GNUmake.3.78.1.html
Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Leo Simons" <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote in message
> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>> Bill, you asked about GNU make on Solaris. According to [1] it is called
>> 'gmake', and (FWIIW) gmake happens to be on the path. Anybody have
>> thoughts
>> on if we ought (1) always use gmake not make on solaris, (2) make it
>> configurable somehow (2) do a hack on this box? Preferences?

Solaris make is so quirky.  I try and avoid it whenever possible.  Pretty
much only use it to build GNU make ;-).

I'd vote (non-binding :) for (3).  Just symlink make to gmake.  It might
also help the mysterious failure of the apr-make project.

> I think we should have a <gmake/>.

Seems like over-kill.  In this case you'd have to do the same hack for Linux
boxes (where it is called 'make').  Of course, there is a whole other issue
if Gump ever goes onto a Windows box (where MS calles it 'nmake').

> I also think its best for the world if package maintainers try and make
> sure their packages build with other versions of make.

Commons-daemon-native turned out to be easy enough to fix so it runs on
Solaris make as well.  It should start building next cycle.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Anybody have thoughts on if we ought (1) always use gmake not make
> on solaris,

I wouldn't restrict that to Solaris, it may very well apply to AIX or
some BSDs as well.  On MacOS X it would be gnumake, not gmake - but at
least on my 10.3 box, make is GNU make.

Some Linux distros have gmake as an alias for make.

> (2) make it configurable somehow

Probably yes.

Stefan