Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Bateman <bo...@sequoiallc.com> on 2004/06/23 18:13:45 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.25 getRemoteUser()

I've been looking thru the archived messages and can't find a match to my
problem....

I'm using Tomcat 5.0.25 to serve up a JSP site.  I do not use Apache httpd as
my front end.  All authentication for Tomcat is thru tomcat and is set to
BASIC.

On my site is a frame page that I want to display varying pieces of
information.  Part of the information is a button to allow the sites users to
log into the site.  Once logged in, the frame page should display other
information (like: Welcome User...)

The problem I'm having is that the page that displays in the frame is not
protected.  Each time I call request.getRemoteUser() it returns null or -1.
Doing a little experimenting, I found out that if I call
request.getRemoteUser() from a protected page, it returns -1 before I log in
and returns information after I log in.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that request.getRemoteUser() should
return the identity of the user once they have logged into the site or null /
-1 before that time.  I appear to be mistaken, OR Tomcat 5.0.25 is behaving
in a manner I don't expect.

Any thoughts or ideas?  I would prefer to *not* implement my own forms based
login - if possible (management mandate....)

Thanks!

Bob