Posted to dev@pagespeed.apache.org by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com> on 2020/08/03 10:30:43 UTC

PageSpeed August 2020 report draft

Hi all,

I have posted the nearly due board report draft over at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/August2020

Please take a look; feedback is highly appreciated

Otto

Re: PageSpeed August 2020 report draft

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

> On 4 Aug 2020, at 22:16, Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Nick, I followed up on the draft and incorporated some of your
> feedback.
> For the WIP-part of DISCLAIMER, I think what's left are trivial things to
> fix - except for the handling
> of the crypto part of the code base.

Cheers.

Actually it occurs to me, that wasn't so much feedback on the report itself,
rather it was comments on the points you raise.

> We depend on openssl/boringssl for some things, and I'm just not familiar
> with what should be done here / what it takes to obtain an export license
> for that.

IANAL, but surely you're not exporting them, you're just linking to them?
They're already part of all the underlying servers, with or without pagespeed.
We have long-established precedent for that @apache!

--
Nick Kew

Re: PageSpeed August 2020 report draft

Posted by Otto van der Schaaf <os...@we-amp.com>.
Thank you Nick, I followed up on the draft and incorporated some of your
feedback.
For the WIP-part of DISCLAIMER, I think what's left are trivial things to
fix - except for the handling
of the crypto part of the code base.

We depend on openssl/boringssl for some things, and I'm just not familiar
with what should be done here / what it takes to obtain an export license
for that.

There might also be another road towards compliance: to axe out features
that induce the ssl dependency
(and maybe allow a plugin model to wire back in some of that if someone
desires so, e.g. for https fetching
of input resources)

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.