Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ian Holsman <Ia...@cnet.com> on 2001/04/30 18:03:32 UTC

A build question

hi.

i've got 2 nits about the build system, and i'm not sure how to go about fixing them

1) exports.c -- this seems to be a auto-generated file, but I don't think that all the programs
	which depend on it are defined in the makefile. If I do a make -j I sometimes get a error
	saying the file doesn't exist. (re-running make -j fixes it)

2) ./httpd -v -- doesn't show the correct build date/time If I'm modifying a static module. (so
	I'm never 100% if my change went in, forcing me to touch server/*.c) is there a way to fix
	this so that ANY build/link will change the date ???

Cheers
Ian

--
Ian Holsman
Performance Measurement & Analysis

Re: A build question

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> 1) exports.c -- this seems to be a auto-generated file, but I don't think that all the programs
> 	which depend on it are defined in the makefile. If I do a make -j I sometimes get a error
> 	saying the file doesn't exist. (re-running make -j fixes it)

Are you doing a 'make depend' before you build?  We do not put
dependancies in our Makefiles in CVS.

> 2) ./httpd -v -- doesn't show the correct build date/time If I'm modifying a static module. (so
> 	I'm never 100% if my change went in, forcing me to touch server/*.c) is there a way to fix
> 	this so that ANY build/link will change the date ???

Again, I believe this is due to bad dependancies.  The file that defines
this is buildmark.c, and this file should ALWAYS be re-built, so that it
picks up the new date.  Make sure you have run 'make depend', and if that
doesn't work, then we need to fix dependancy generation.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131