Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org> on 2005/08/13 06:37:13 UTC

JAXB [was Re: Bug in MinML?]

On 7 Aug 2005, at 19:43, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> See the (not yet finished) b20050512_streaming branch.

Thanks.

This is a much more extensive change than I was thinking of. If
XMLRPC is moving to JAXB, I should read up on it...I've been avoiding
it (and software that uses it, such as Axis) due to its apparent
complexity. Could you recommend any good learning resources - online
tutorials? books?

I'm looking over Sun's stuff now, but I can already tell it's going
to piss me off. I hate the whole experience of extra software from
Sun. Their examples download is annoying - I never expected to see
the words "Initializing InstallShield Wizard..." while running a
shell script on my Mac. And their website sucks - the JAXB User's
Guide page has no content, so I had to dig through the HTML source to
see a link to a PDF in a <noframes> section, etc.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Re: JAXB [was Re: Bug in MinML?]

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
On 13 Aug 2005, at 11:35, Scott Lamb wrote:

> 2. How would dynamic structures work? Our existing XML-RPC-based
> protocol has a method called GetSettings; it's passed a Vector of
> setting names and returns a Hashtable of setting names to values.
> We can't generate code based on this <struct>, since the members
> aren't known at compile time.

Actually, I see now that you've got both
"org.apache.xmlrpc.jaxb.JaxbTypeFactory" and
"org.apache.xmlrpc.common.TypeFactoryImpl". The latter seems able to
handle what I want. In fact, it's better than before - I'm happy to
see it using Map and List instead of the pre-collections stuff. Maybe
I should just be using it for my existing application.

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>

Re: JAXB [was Re: Bug in MinML?]

Posted by Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org>.
On 13 Aug 2005, at 03:37, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> In the case of JAXB: It is as simple as reading
>
>     http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/manual/
>
> It's really not difficult. In fact, it reduces complexity quite a lot.

Thanks. That does look surprisingly simple.

There are couple I'm still unsure about in the context of XML-RPC:

1. In order to make JaxMe generate classes for representing XML-RPC
like this:

     <struct>
       <member>
         <name>Who</name>
       </member>
       <member>
         <name>When</name>
         <value><dateTime.iso8601>20050803T00:03:32</dateTime.iso8601>
       </member>
     </struct>

it looks like I'd make a schema for validating documents like this:

     <Something>
       <Who>me</Who>
       <When>2005-08-03T00:03:32</When>
     </Something>

Is that correct? The XML here is quite different; the XMLRPC and XML
Schema datetime formats aren't even the same. It seems like much of
the value in writing an XML Schema is gone if we can't use it to
validate raw documents easily.

Re: JAXB [was Re: Bug in MinML?]

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 8/13/05, Scott Lamb <sl...@slamb.org> wrote:

> This is a much more extensive change than I was thinking of. If
> XMLRPC is moving to JAXB, I should read up on it...I've been avoiding
> it (and software that uses it, such as Axis) due to its apparent
> complexity. Could you recommend any good learning resources - online
> tutorials? books?

In the case of JAXB: It is as simple as reading

    http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/manual/

It's really not difficult. In fact, it reduces complexity quite a lot.

In the case of XMLRPC: I know only the stuff written by Sun, but most
possibly Google will find more.

Jochen

--
What are the first steps on the moon, compared to your child's?

Re: JAXB [was Re: Bug in MinML?]

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Axis2 does not implement JAXRPC :)

-- dims