Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/22 16:51:21 UTC

maven-compiler-plugin, fork, and Windows classpath length

I am using maven-compiler-plugin version 3.0.  We use fork=true.

We are seeing (I am pretty certain; haven't sorted through the boatloads of
-X output yet) that the classpath being supplied to the
maven-compiler-plugin is too long for Windows.  (We're getting some weird
errors out of the underlying compiler, then when we shorten the root path
where we have the project the errors go away.)

I didn't see any way to have Maven supply the classpath to the
maven-compiler-plugin as a file, or any other way to bypass the Windows
path length limitation.

Is this a known issue?  I also didn't see it when I did a "classpath"
search in Jira under the MCOMPILER project, but there were lots of entries
so I might have missed it.

Thanks,
Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

RE: maven-compiler-plugin, fork, and Windows classpath length

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Laird and Team

yep..known issue ...push any environment variable such as CLASSPATH over 64k or any build-string over 2k do a
"cmd.exe /C java.exe %MASSIVE_CLASSPATH% MyFile.java"

and watch the fireworks

My workaround
surefire limited to 2.4.2 ..anything above that and surefire will attempt to construct an extended classpath
<forkMode>never</forkMode>

Martin

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
btw that will fix the issue for forked compilation only (not for in
process compilations)

2013/4/9 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
> I think we solved all of that with the "CLASSPATH" env var in
> surefire; I believe it pushes the limit to 64K.
>
> 64K must be enough for everyone :)
>
> Kristian
>

> 2013/4/9 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
>> uhm maybe with setting env var CLASSPATH  (I think surefire do that)
>> BTW add a jira entry (note: I don't have windauze to test the change :-) )
>>
>> 2013/3/23 Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>:
>>> I am using maven-compiler-plugin version 3.0.  We use fork=true.
>>>
>>> We are seeing (I am pretty certain; haven't sorted through the boatloads of
>>> -X output yet) that the classpath being supplied to the
>>> maven-compiler-plugin is too long for Windows.  (We're getting some weird
>>> errors out of the underlying compiler, then when we shorten the root path
>>> where we have the project the errors go away.)
>>>
>>> I didn't see any way to have Maven supply the classpath to the
>>> maven-compiler-plugin as a file, or any other way to bypass the Windows
>>> path length limitation.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue?  I also didn't see it when I did a "classpath"
>>> search in Jira under the MCOMPILER project, but there were lots of entries
>>> so I might have missed it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Best,
>>> Laird
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://about.me/lairdnelson
>>

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: maven-compiler-plugin, fork, and Windows classpath length

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier Lamy