Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Triton Circonflexe <tr...@kumal.info> on 2021/08/13 19:32:59 UTC

Re: Stable thrift standard reference for IETF

> Currently the question arose how to normatively reference thrift specification for IETF standards purposes. AFAIK, the current specs are stored on
>
> https://github.com/apache/thrift/tree/master/doc/specs
>
> and have been stable for a long time but since it’s a git referring to it via a link is too unstable for IETF standardization process. Also, the format does not contain IPR notices and similar things that IETF normally preconditions in its standards.

Although it has been stable for a long time, the compact specification
contains an error in the feild id used for lists, sets, and maps.
All implementations are consistent with each other so it’s the
specification description that needs to be updated.

I’ve open PR https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/2417 and we are
waiting for comments regarding the wording to ensure we can merge.

So everyone interested in the standard reference is invited to take a look.

Triton.

Re: Stable thrift standard reference for IETF

Posted by Antoni Przygienda <pr...@juniper.net.INVALID>.
Thanks for the heads-up. if there is a community interested in getting a "stable" thrift standard doc I'm more than happy to put work into it. As I suggested, one possibility is to publish an RFC, IETF has a long history here and the process is fairly reasonable to get it done. Of course it would be just a "standards doc snapshot" that can be used as "stable ref" and not "thrift standard" itself ...

=== tony

    [External Email. Be cautious of content]

    I’ve open PR https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/2417__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!Sybd48gJlCJGhkP5OcoClp9Il3pvvyCqmJIRSTR3jUAsK7Y9-n_4M8D60iDb1Q$  and we are
    waiting for comments regarding the wording to ensure we can merge.

    So everyone interested in the standard reference is invited to take a look.

    Triton.

Juniper Business Use Only