Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sean Doherty <se...@copperfasten.com> on 2004/07/09 12:10:24 UTC

SURBLs and skip_rbl_checks

Hi there,

>>From testing my local SpamAssassin 2.63 installation here I've
discovered that SURBL tests are still performed even if skip_rbl_checks
is set to 1 in my local.cf file. Shouldn't the SURBL's honour this
parameter, or is this by design? Is there another parameter that will
(temporarily) disable the SURBL tests - other than assigning a score of
0 to those tests?

Regards,
		- Sean

Re: SURBLs and skip_rbl_checks

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, July 16, 2004, 4:17:33 AM, John Wilcock wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:09:26 -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
>> Chris' answer is reasonable that the 3.0 code hopefully may
>> treat SURBLs like other RBLs in that skip_rbl_checks may work
>> as expected.  Reading the source code would probably reveal
>> this if so.

> I would assume that it is not too late to get this corrected in 3.0
> final. Any 3.0-pre users care to check, and file a bugzilla report if
> necessary?

The lack of response to skip_rbl_checks was cited for SpamCopURI
which is a 2.63 program.  We don't know whether it's broken in
3.0 but suspect not, assuming some generalized RBL code was used
to handle the RBLs in urirhsbl, etc.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: SURBLs and skip_rbl_checks

Posted by John Wilcock <jo...@tradoc.fr>.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:09:26 -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> Chris' answer is reasonable that the 3.0 code hopefully may
> treat SURBLs like other RBLs in that skip_rbl_checks may work
> as expected.  Reading the source code would probably reveal
> this if so.

I would assume that it is not too late to get this corrected in 3.0
final. Any 3.0-pre users care to check, and file a bugzilla report if
necessary?

John.

--
-- Over 2400 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages    - www.tradoc.fr

Re: SURBLs and skip_rbl_checks

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, July 12, 2004, 2:48:10 AM, Sean Doherty wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 19:50, Fred wrote:
>> For a test to be considered a net test, it needs to have a tflag set to net.
>> For your surbl rules, they should all have:
>> tflags   SURBL_WHATEVER    net
>> This will force them to be skipped like you want.

> Thanks for the answer Fred.

> However these tests still get run when skip_rbl_checks = 1;
> even if the tflags 'net' flag is set.

> The tests *do* get skipped if I specify the spamassassin -L
> flag (local tests only).

> After a bit more digging I found that the spamCop-uri code
> doesn't check the skip_rbl_checks settings as is done for
> other rbl tests. If this is by design or not is a question
> for the spamcop-uri developers.

That's probably a question for the spamcopuri author Eric Kolve,
though a partial hedge is that we tend not to think of SURBLs
in quite the same way as other RBLs since the usage is fairly
different.  (Two other uses of RBLs are more common: match
sender IP addresses or domains in message headers or match
resolved URI IP addresses in message bodies.)

Posted by Sean Doherty <se...@copperfasten.com>.

Posted by Fred <sp...@freddyt.com>.
Sean Doherty wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>> From testing my local SpamAssassin 2.63 installation here I've
> discovered that SURBL tests are still performed even if
> skip_rbl_checks is set to 1 in my local.cf file. Shouldn't the
> SURBL's honour this parameter, or is this by design? Is there another
> parameter that will (temporarily) disable the SURBL tests - other
> than assigning a score of 0 to those tests?

Hello,
For a test to be considered a net test, it needs to have a tflag set to net.
For your surbl rules, they should all have:

tflags   SURBL_WHATEVER    net

This will force them to be skipped like you want.

Fred