Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Will Jones <wi...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/25 21:58:36 UTC

DISCUSS: Stabilize Arrow C Stream Interface?

The Arrow C Stream Interface is still listed as experimental [1], though it
was introduced about 20 months ago [2]. It's being used in the
well-advertised integration between PyArrow/R arrow and DuckDB [3]. Support
was added to both Rust implementations [4][5]. It was discussed in today's
sync meeting that additional systems have been experimenting with it [6].

Should we stabilize the API now? Or are there any changes we need to
contemplate based on the experience of our early adopters?

[1] https://arrow.apache.org/docs/7.0/format/CStreamInterface.html
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/8052
[3] https://arrow.apache.org/blog/2021/12/03/arrow-duckdb/
[4] https://github.com/apache/arrow-rs/pull/1384
[5] https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow2/pull/857
[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/x03nck8rpmyd8td6vpz1ctqgno1cbf10

Re: DISCUSS: Stabilize Arrow C Stream Interface?

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
That sounds fair to me as well.

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Keane <jk...@gmail.com>.