Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2005/01/18 00:15:26 UTC

Service Runner question

I am running Tomcat 5.0.28 on my Windows XP machine. When I run a program
called Security Task Manager, which is a more powerful version of the
standard Windows Task Manager, it says that a Windows Process named 'Service
Runner' is using 28.3 MB of my memory. The file name is
e:\Tomcat-5.0.28\bin\tomcat5.exe.

Can anyone tell me what the consequences are if I "Quarantine" it, i.e. if I
stop it from launching itself automatically every time I boot up the
computer? I'm trying to understand how it will impact my testing with Tomcat
and my deployment of servlets to Tomcat from Eclipse 3.0.1 via Sysdeo. I'm
guessing it will keep me from doing any of those things.

If that is correct, what is the proper method to enable those things when I
need to do them, short of making Service Runner a TSR again?

The truth of the matter is that I can go weeks without running Tomcat so I
really don't need it to be a TSR. However, I don't want to shoot myself in
the foot and force myself to reboot every time I need Tomcat. Can anyone
advise me on the best strategy for handling this?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
Hoare

Re: Service Runner question

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I do not run Tomcat on Windows. So with that I am making a couple of
assumptions. If Tomcat is registered as a service, it should be listed in
the services found under manage on a right click of My Computer. From there
you can set the service to be manual, automatic or disabled. By setting it
to manual, you can return there and start it from a right click any time. Or
you can disable it there and start it from the command line. I also think if
it is set to manual you will be able to start and stop it with the icons.
There are others on the list that can correct me here if I am wrong.

So:
Set the service to manual.
Use the start/stop links.

Doug