Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nathan Chandler <na...@orange.net> on 2001/11/28 10:50:12 UTC

Simulating user load by way of variables in URL String

Have application (Front Servlet) that is accessed as follows:

http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?id=12345678

where the id number is something that identifies a user of the system.

Q. Can (and if so how) JMeter be used to generate realistic loading from X different users each of which need to have different parameter value where after initial hit each user has HttpSession and thus client needs to manage per user cookie info.

Many thanks in advance for information.

Re: Simulating user load by way of variables in URL String

Posted by Nathan Chandler <na...@orange.net>.
Yes - well sort of anyway.

With Gateway (e.g. WAP Gateway) in place one machine is effectively acting as a client on behalf of all (mobile phone)handset users. The Gateway application makes initial contact with our application and passes the calling number, e.g. Calling=4477779283423 as a parameter. This only passed in first request. However, Gateway handles cookies so once we know who user is (from calling number passed in first request) then we use HttpSession and cookies to maintain state.

So typical sequence of URLs accessed bu user (hidden by Gateway of course) might be

http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?Calling=4412345123456
http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?pageId=somepage
http://www.myco.com/servlet/AServlet?pageId=someotherpage

So to generate realistic multi-user loading need to be able to alter the Calling param on original hit (i.e. to denote different users) and then make calls to other URLs passing back cookie originally received in response from first hit.

Hope that makes some sort of sense and can help in answering my original question that remains below.

Thanks, Nathan.

Posted by kevin hammond <ke...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Nathan,