Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2005/07/01 08:46:00 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] htaccess help

Plain text please...

Couple of possibilities:

- you have a wrong username/password: If you get it wrong the browser will pop up the window again ad infinitum. Check carefully and remember case is important (in fact, create a new account in the password file with user=aaa and password=aaa - all lower-case so you don't make any mistakes).

- you are nesting authentication realms: You can only have one layer of authentication in HTTP. So if you have a password on dir1, you can't have another password on dir1/subdir. Check you're not doing this.

BTW, as well as posting in plain text, it's useful if you tell us your apache version and OS, at least.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Posted by Michael <Mi...@bio-world.com>.
The apache ver i have is Apache 2.0.40 runing on Red Hat 9.2.
I wasnt clear enough my bad. I type in the address of the folder i want to
protect in the browser. Then the wuthentication window pops up. I enter the
user and passwd info hit OK and more than half of the page loads up and
authentication window pops up again. So, I enter the user&passwd again and
then the rest of the page loads up. I set in httpd.conf for the web root dir
AllowOverride all and this is my .htaccess:
AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName EnterPassword
AuthType Basic