Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> on 2006/02/10 19:35:42 UTC

Deleting a folder within a project in the Repo

Is it ok to delete a subfolder via Tortoise?  I just did before asking.  It
was not an important folder and a developer asked me to delete because he
wants to recreate and recheck it in from scratch.  What other steps do I
need to do?

Thanks

Re: Deleting a folder within a project in the Repo

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 10, 2006, at 20:35, Res Pons wrote:

> Is it ok to delete a subfolder via Tortoise?  I just did before
> asking.  It was not an important folder and a developer asked me to
> delete because he wants to recreate and recheck it in from
> scratch.  What other steps do I need to do?

Of course it's ok. If you want to delete a directory or file from the
repository, then delete it, stating in your commit message why you
did so. Note that the item is of course still available in the
history of the repository; that's the point of a repository—to keep
all changes forever.

If you're asking if there's a way to permanently delete an item from
the repository, so that it cannot be retrieved, then that involves
significant extra effort. Such effort is usually only worthwhile if
the item contains confidential information which nobody should be
able to see, or perhaps if someone inadvertently added a huge amount
of data and you're short on disk space. The relevant info is here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#removal