Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Marco Bosatta <ma...@zkb.ch> on 2001/03/15 18:24:57 UTC

server side usage

hi folks,

I have tried out some samples with the SVG generator SVGGraphics2D and I am impressed  :-))

I would like to integrate an SVG generator as part of  a service (e.g. a stateless session bean).
Are there any issues related to multithreading in using SVGGraphics2D and the related framework?

ciao, Marco

Re: server side usage

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
I dont know about re-entrancy, but one issue I've hit (w/ beta2RC5) is that
I had tp put crimson.jar into the app server (or in this case tomcat's)
classpath, rather than just include in the war.

Let us know what you find out about in the field regarding thread safey.

-Steve

Re: server side usage

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Marco,

The SVGGraphics2D class is not thread safe so you might need one
instance
per thread doing rendering. In my experience this makes sense as it is
unusual to have multiple threat being able to share a Graphics2D
instance
in a meaningful way (i.e., one thread does some rendering, then another
kicks in and does some more rendering etc..).
If creating multiple instances is not an option, you could synchronize
access to the SVGGraphics2D instance.

V.