Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Elemir Stevko <El...@versent.com.au> on 2019/01/31 23:45:46 UTC

Importing Git repo in NiFi Registry

Hello,

In NiFi Registry configured with Git provider, is it possible to import the content of an existing Git repo in a new NiFi instance?

To provide some context, I am working on automating NiFi Registry server instantiation in AWS. I am planning to store the versioned flows in Git (CodeCommit) and I am considering the best way to backup and restore the state of NiFi Registry server to recover from failure.

NiFi Registry creates a data structure in the local database (H2) describing the available buckets and flows. I am wondering if the content of the Git repository is enough to preserve the state or if I need to backup the database too (or perhaps externalise it as a Postgres RDS instance). My tests so far indicate that it's the latter, but I want to confirm that this is correct.

Best regards,
Elemir

Re: Importing Git repo in NiFi Registry

Posted by Elemir Stevko <El...@versent.com.au>.
Hi Pierre,

Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for! Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Elemir

From: Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, 1 February 2019 at 11:18 am
To: "users@nifi.apache.org" <us...@nifi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Importing Git repo in NiFi Registry

Hi Elemir,

I think you're looking for NIFIREG-209 [1] to be released in the next version of the NiFi Registry.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFIREG-209

Pierre

Posted by Elemir Stevko <El...@versent.com.au>.
Hi Bryan,

OK, I see. I'll store the database in a HA RDS instance then. It's good to know though that it will be possible to recover at least the flows from the git repo if necessary.

Best regards,
Elemir

From: Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, 1 February 2019 at 11:30 am
To: "users@nifi.apache.org" <us...@nifi.apache.org>

Hello,

Just wanted to add that it is probably still good practice to back up the database, or use an external highly available DB.

As we build out the registry we will be storing more information in the database, and not all of it will come from git, so at some point the entire database may not be able to be rebuilt from just git. Although just for flows it should be fine.

Thanks,

Bryan

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Importing Git repo in NiFi Registry

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

wrote:

> Hi Elemir,
>
> I think you're looking for NIFIREG-209 [1] to be released in the next
> version of the NiFi Registry.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFIREG-209
>
> Pierre
>
> Le ven. 1 févr. 2019 à 00:46, Elemir Stevko <El...@versent.com.au>
> a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> In NiFi Registry configured with Git provider, is it possible to import
>> the content of an existing Git repo in a new NiFi instance?
>>

>> To provide some context, I am working on automating NiFi Registry server
>> instantiation in AWS. I am planning to store the versioned flows in Git
>> (CodeCommit) and I am considering the best way to backup and restore the
>> state of NiFi Registry server to recover from failure.
>>

>> NiFi Registry creates a data structure in the local database (H2)
>> describing the available buckets and flows. I am wondering if the content
>> of the Git repository is enough to preserve the state or if I need to
>> backup the database too (or perhaps externalise it as a Postgres RDS
>> instance). My tests so far indicate that it's the latter, but I want to
>> confirm that this is correct.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Elemir
>>

> --