Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Adam Qualset <ad...@covalent.net> on 2006/11/15 18:22:07 UTC

Front page loops..

Hello, I am hoping someone can point me in the right directions for
this.

I upgraded my 2.1 roller to 3.0, the problem I am seeing is that when I
hit the site via http://localhost:8080/roller/ in lynx I get "Location
URL is not absolute", and the page keeps reloading.  When I hit it
through apache through a proxy, it is giving 301's in the apache error
log and keeps recycling itself, no page ever appears.

Going to a Blog directly works fine http://localhost:8080/roller/adam.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
-Adam

Re: Front page loops..

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Yes, those are correct.
The default page for a blog is now always "Weblog"
And the day page is always "_day"

And BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how to reproduce the looping
problem that you guys are encountering.

- Dave

Re: Front page loops..

Re: Front page loops..

Posted by jhannafin <jh...@tippinst.ie>.
I am also experiencing the same problem. I have roller 2.3 installed on a
Debian (Sarge) box with Tomcat 5.5.17 and MySql 5.0.24. I have a virtual
host set up and roller is running at a url something like
http://subdomain.domain.com/blogs. All works fine. When upgrading to roller
3.0 I copied the original roller database in MySql to a new database called
roller2 and then upgraded this database using the scripts provided. After
following the upgrade instructions, if I set up a new context called newblog
that maps to roller 3.0 the the url http://subdomain.domain.com/newblogs
works fine and I see roller 3.0. However, if I change the "newblogs" context
to the old "blogs" context I experience a similar error to Adam. I use
Firefox and it tells me that "The page isn't redirecting properly. Firefox
has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in
a way that will never complete."
Looking at the log files I see no error in roller.log or catalina.out. The
access log for the tomcat host included a line (multiple times) like:

xx.xx.xx.xx - - [16/Nov/2006:15:12:56 +0000] "GET /blogs/ HTTP/1.0" 301 -

Also, like Adam, if I go directly to a weblog using a url like
http://subdomain.domain.com/blogs/frontpage it displays. Indeed all seems to
work fine (e.g. logging in) except the displaying of the url
http://subdomain.domain.com/blogs.

I have set the "Absolute URL to site (if required)" to
http://subdomain.domain.com/blogs/ but alas the problem perisits.

It's as if roller 3.0 believes the url http://subdomain.domain.com/blogs is
an old url to a weblog and tries to redirect it, when in fact there was
never a weblog at the url but rather it was the url of the front page.

Re: Front page loops..

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/06, Adam Qualset <ad...@covalent.net> wrote:
> Hello, I am hoping someone can point me in the right directions for
> this.
>
> I upgraded my 2.1 roller to 3.0, the problem I am seeing is that when I
> hit the site via http://localhost:8080/roller/ in lynx I get "Location
> URL is not absolute", and the page keeps reloading.  When I hit it
> through apache through a proxy, it is giving 301's in the apache error
> log and keeps recycling itself, no page ever appears.
>
> Going to a Blog directly works fine http://localhost:8080/roller/adam

Try setting the absolute URL to your site on the Server Admin page.
Set it to this and see what happens?

   http://localhost:8080/roller/

You mentioned what happens with Lynx. What happens with Firefox or IE?

- Dave