Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/18 19:20:52 UTC

Kafka releases - can they be more often please?

Apologies in advance for continuously pestering about the releases. I
know there was a mail sent out for voting the 0.8.2.2 release a couple
of weeks back, but from what I see, the release is still pending. Any
idea if this will be released the coming week?

Overall, I'm wondering whether a more quicker release cycle for Kafka
would be a good idea. I know this is a open source community driven
project and as such doesn't come with timeline guarantees. But since
Kafka hasn't yet reached 1.0.0 and from our experience so far, shows
some instability issues, would it perhaps be a good idea to release more
often whenever good amount of bugs have been fixed? It's already been 6
months since the last release and I already have seen a lot of bugs that
have been fixed during that period, but there hasn't been an official
release which we can use in our development systems and give it a try.
We really like to continue using Kafka since it does add value to our
system, but some of the issues we are running into is making us focus
more on Kafka and the infrastructure than actually focus on the
application integration of it. So having a release more often, which we
can use with the bugs fixed, is really going to help.

Thanks to the Kafka dev team for the work they put in. I don't intend to
sound critical about the project (we really like it). I'm just hoping
that the releases happen more often.

-Jaikiran

Re: Kafka releases - can they be more often please?

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun! That works for us.

-Jaikiran

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
0.8.2.2 is already in maven (

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.

wrote:

> Apologies in advance for continuously pestering about the releases. I know
> there was a mail sent out for voting the 0.8.2.2 release a couple of weeks
> back, but from what I see, the release is still pending. Any idea if this
> will be released the coming week?
>
> Overall, I'm wondering whether a more quicker release cycle for Kafka
> would be a good idea. I know this is a open source community driven project
> and as such doesn't come with timeline guarantees. But since Kafka hasn't
> yet reached 1.0.0 and from our experience so far, shows some instability
> issues, would it perhaps be a good idea to release more often whenever good
> amount of bugs have been fixed? It's already been 6 months since the last
> release and I already have seen a lot of bugs that have been fixed during
> that period, but there hasn't been an official release which we can use in
> our development systems and give it a try. We really like to continue using
> Kafka since it does add value to our system, but some of the issues we are
> running into is making us focus more on Kafka and the infrastructure than
> actually focus on the application integration of it. So having a release
> more often, which we can use with the bugs fixed, is really going to help.
>
> Thanks to the Kafka dev team for the work they put in. I don't intend to
> sound critical about the project (we really like it). I'm just hoping that
> the releases happen more often.
>
> -Jaikiran

Ewen