Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by jo...@accenture.com on 2014/01/06 19:32:08 UTC

single node to multiple broker cluster help

Hi,

I'm working through some examples and I'm having issues with activating more than one server. I'm running on an AWS instance on an Amazon Linux AMI.  The single node to single broker worked like a charm, yet every time I configure my second server it throws an error and shutdown's my first Kafka server.  It's trying to run both servers on the same port.  How can I fix this?

# env JMX_PORT=10000 bin/kafka-server-start.sh config/server-2.properties

Joseph Simmons
Accenture LLC
TGP-CMT Analyst
San Francisco, CA

B: 415.537.4703
C: 951.941.1125

________________________________

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy. .

www.accenture.com

Re: single node to multiple broker cluster help

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
in server.properties you also need to change the kafka port if you are
running everything on one machine

# The port the socket server listens on
port=9092

There is a great writeup on running multi broker on single machine
http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2013/03/13/running-a-multi-broker-apache-kafka-cluster-on-a-single-node/

if you want to virtualize 3 brokers with zookeeper you can take a look at
doing it with Vagrant if you like
http://allthingshadoop.com/2013/12/07/using-vagrant-to-get-up-and-running-with-apache-kafka/(shameless
self promotion... but in all seriousness it is really helpful
way to develop and test)

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC