Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2001/06/07 09:48:18 UTC

C2 and Avalon

Hi folks,

now that the beta is out, what is the relation of Cocoon2 and Avalon? We
already use Avalon here for other stuff, can we just install Cocoon as a
block or do we still need Tomcat?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > So far C2 is not a Block. You still need Tomcat (IIRC Tomcat 4 can be build as a
> > Block). The relation to Avalon is that C2 uses the framework and excalibur.
>
> So what you guys do is copy the code from the Avalon project and embed
> that version into the Cocoon2 project?

No.  We include the distribution jars from the Avalon web site:
jakarta.apache.org/avalon

> Will that integration happen in the future?

There is a possibility of that.  The interface does need to be thought out
though.

> Will the need for Tomcat go away and will users have to install Avalon
> first, before installing Cocoon2?

Avalon is split into six subprojects now.  The reason is that Avalon was
too big, and covered too many different things--so we have them separated
out: Framework (the overall framework), Excalibur (reusable components),
LogKit (logger), Testlet (testing framework), Phoenix (server kernel),
and Cornerstone (reusable blocks).

Cocoon makes use of Avalon Framework, Avalon Excalibur, and Avalon LogKit.

> If you answer "yes" three times, you're eligible for the next round of
> questions ;-)

We are probably still eligible for another round of questions !-)

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> > > The version we're using here was downloaded from CVS about a week ago.
> >
> > Ok.  In that case, you are familiar with the subproject breakdown of
> > Avalon.
>
> Yes, I'm just using Avalon as a catch-all phrase for the whole thing :)
>
> I don't know too much about Avalon, though, haven't used it myself. But
> my boss tells me I have to soon ;-)

Ahh.  I am writing a paper that goes into serious depth on it--I will know if my
presentation is accepted for ApacheCon on Monday (or, at least that's what the
site says....).  You may find it useful.  Either way, I will make this paper
publically available.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
> > <...>
> > With Tomcat 4.0b5 and WebLogic you will have to make a little additional
> > steps. (For Tomcat - you'll find instructions on the installation page
on
> > the C2 site). For WL 6 I can tell you what to do if you are interested.
>
> Hmm... I compile Tomcat 4.0 out of CVS AS-IS and deploy my cocoon.war
> file into it without changing ANYTHING of the Tomcat stuff.

Really?
I must have been using an old version.
Installation instractions say that an additional init-param must be added:
extra-class - pointing to servlet.jar in Tomcat.
If it's not correct, then it must be removed from docs, isn't it?

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
<...>

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > So far C2 is not a Block. You still need Tomcat (IIRC Tomcat 4 can be
> build as a
> > Block). The relation to Avalon is that C2 uses the framework and
> excalibur.
>
> So what you guys do is copy the code from the Avalon project and embed
> that version into the Cocoon2 project?

I'm not sure what you mean. I say no, we are not copying code (at least no
sources that would be a maintainance nightmare) we use Avalon the way it is
meant to be used (we only have the jar from Avalon but noting more).

> Will that integration happen in the future?

Integration? As a Block?

> Will the need for Tomcat go away and will users have to install Avalon
> first, before installing Cocoon2?

There is no specific need of Tomcat. We try to make it work in any servlet
container (which supports spec. 2.2)

> If you answer "yes" three times, you're eligible for the next round of
> questions ;-)

Could you explain in more detail what answers you are expecting?

Giacomo

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: C2 and Avalon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> now that the beta is out, what is the relation of Cocoon2 and Avalon? We
> already use Avalon here for other stuff, can we just install Cocoon as a
> block or do we still need Tomcat?

C2 does not have a Block interface, however the Cocoon object is a Component.
It would be trivial to create a block that implements the Processor interface
in Cocoon, with the Cocoon object as the implementor of the interface.  The
major trick would be creating the Environment objects for Avalon.