Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jeremy Cowgar <jc...@cowgar.com> on 2003/04/24 20:26:05 UTC

mod_perl 2.0 or 1.xx also Apache::Dispatch

I am curious, with new mod_perl apps should I use mod_perl 1.x for Apache
1.x or be using Apache 2 with mod_perl 2? I choose mod_perl 2 but after
that last post that mentioned Apache::Dispatch, I became interested in
utilizing it, but it seems to rely upon Apache::ExtUtils ... When I attempt
to install that package via CPAN it attempts to install mod_perl 1.27.

--
Jeremy
http://cowgar.com

Re: mod_perl 2.0 or 1.xx

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> mod_perl 2.0 is probably not the version with which you want to
> implement a production system right now - it's nearing completion, but
> every time I play with it I find more features that I want to use that
> don't seem to work quite right.

FWIW, my previous statement was probably a bit too... harsh.  chalk it
up to a day of debugging process pools that didn't work out :)

mp2 is actually very, very cool, and I am enjoying playing around with
it - if I didn't, I wouldn't be spending the time writing about it.  I
think for me, any frustration I have stems from a few features in the
more obscure areas of the API (do you care that finfo() probably won't
be implemented?  or that you can't enter a prerequisite for the
post_config hook?  I didn't think so).

so, I guess what I meant to say was that mp2 may or may not be for you
in its current state - it very well may be if you can successfully
port your application using Apache::compat, or only rely on Registry
scripts, for instance.

but the bottom line is that the more people that start developing,
using, and deploying mp2, the faster it will get to the point where it
is the platform of choice.

so, patches welcome, drivers wanted, etc :)

--Geoff

Re: mod_perl 2.0 or 1.xx also Apache::Dispatch

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
> I am curious, with new mod_perl apps should I use mod_perl 1.x for
> Apache 1.x or be using Apache 2 with mod_perl 2?

mod_perl 2.0 is probably not the version with which you want to implement a
production system right now - it's nearing completion, but every time I play
with it I find more features that I want to use that don't seem to work
quite right.

I choose mod_perl 2 but
> after that last post that mentioned Apache::Dispatch, I became
> interested in utilizing it, but it seems to rely upon Apache::ExtUtils
> ... When I attempt to install that package via CPAN it attempts to
> install mod_perl 1.27.

Apache::Dispatch is specific to mod_perl 1.0, and will not work with
Apache::compat due to the custom configuration directive stuff.  sorry.

--Geoff