Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Linczak, Jonathan W." <Li...@hiram.edu> on 2005/01/06 20:32:48 UTC

Switching to xhtml adds changes tabs and menus

Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone else was getting the same thing.  When I switch the publication to serialize to XHTML, the menus at the top the Authoring tab mess up.  In Internet Explorer on Windows, version 6, I get a whole bunch of accented A characters in front of every text in the menuing area.  For Firefox on a Mac (I presume on Windows too), the menu gets all out of whack, where the gray area gets to big, and the blue bar that leads on into the box with Lenya in it gets all jagged.  I can provide screenshots if needed.  Anyone else experience this problem?  (This is on the released 1.2.1 source version.)

Jon

Re: Switching to xhtml adds changes tabs and menus

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Linczak, Jonathan W. wrote:
>>
>>> When I switch the publication to serialize to XHTML, the menus at
>>> the top the Authoring tab mess up.
>>
>> this is because the table-based layout of the menu relies
>> on specific whitespace to work (a common problem with table-based
>> layouts). the solution is to get rid of those tables eventually.
>>
> My lenya publications use a drop down navigation menu that is made up
> of only css and a <ul> (with nested lists for the sub-menus).  I
> believe that it would be rather simple to make this menu also work for
> the lenya authoring menu. It is very light weight and you don't need
> the <noscript> to stay accessible.  Would this be an enhancement

yes :-)

> or just a step away from using XUL (Isn't xul the purposed solution,
> at least using mozilla).

no, I do not think this is a step away from XUL, but rather a
replacement for the current JavaScript based one.

Would it be possible for you to file an enhancement bug and attach your
CSS solution?

Thanks

Michi

> --Doug

Michael Wechner

Re: Switching to xhtml adds changes tabs and menus

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Linczak, Jonathan W. wrote:
>
>> When I switch the publication to serialize to XHTML, the menus at the
>> top the Authoring tab mess up.
> this is because the table-based layout of the menu relies
> on specific whitespace to work (a common problem with table-based
> layouts). the solution is to get rid of those tables eventually.

My lenya publications use a drop down navigation menu that is made up of
only css and a <ul> (with nested lists for the sub-menus).  I believe
that it would be rather simple to make this menu also work for the lenya
authoring menu. It is very light weight and you don't need the
<noscript> to stay accessible.  Would this be an enhancement or just a

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com