Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Bharath Thippireddy <bt...@primavera.com> on 2008/09/11 17:00:51 UTC

Licensing Problem with WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar in CXF

We have a restriction to only use the  Apache/GPL licensed jar files.We
see that  WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar  is licensed under the CPL .Since CXF uses
WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar ,is there a replacement for this which uses  the GPL
license?

thanks,
Bharath

Re: Licensing Problem with WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar in CXF

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
You can ask them, but no--Apache can't include LGPL/GPL licensed products
itself, it doesn't license anything under (L)GPL.  Read the latter two
paragraphs here:  http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html .

Binary CPL is allowed in Apache products
(http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html).  We use other non-Apache but
Apache-compatible licenses as well (the BSD license, Sun's CDDL license --
used with CXF's included JAXB) so even if we could fix your WSDL4J concerns
you'd still have one with CXF's include JAXB (and probably SAAJ).

Another option is that you can switch to Metro
(https://metro.dev.java.net/), dual-licensed under GPL.

Glen

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 11 September 2008 11:00:51 am Bharath Thippireddy wrote:
> We have a restriction to only use the  Apache/GPL licensed jar files.We
> see that  WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar  is licensed under the CPL .Since CXF uses
> WSDL4J-1.6.1.jar ,is there a replacement for this which uses  the GPL
> license?

Hmmm....   I really don't think there is any other alternative to wsdl4j.
Pretty much every java toolkit I know of that processes wsdl 1.1 documents
uses wsdl4j.    Woden can do wsdl2.0, but not the 1.1 stuff and is also not
api compatible.

Sun has their own wsdl model in the jaxws-ri, but it's not wsdl4j compatible
and thus would be a huge amount of work to switch to it.   Plus, it would not
be Apache/GPL either (cddl).

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org