Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Helfi <st...@t-online.de> on 2011/09/28 08:12:37 UTC

SXSSF Temp Files

Hi,

I am using SXSSF to write out a XLSX File. Today I registered that my /temp
folder is really huge and the source of it are some SXSSF temp files like:
poi-sxxsf-template9025797025954298418.xlsx
poi-sxxsf-sheet8912827636881977406.xml

- Is this a bug in SXSSF API?
- or have I to manually clean them up after build? if yes, how?
- or is it a problem with windows/accessrights on my system?

Hope u can help me, thanks!

Greetings

Re: SXSSF Temp Files

Posted by Helfi <st...@t-online.de>.
Thanks for testing Alex,

i will test it on some other machines..

Re: SXSSF Temp Files

Posted by Helfi <st...@t-online.de>.
I tested it at home on my Windows7 machine with the poi3.8-beta4 with my
example code and i got the same result.

I checked at the promp and all 3 temp files (2 poi and my testfile) were
still present. After continuing the programm and shutting down the vm, my
testfile vanished but the 2 poi-files were still there.

Maybe somebody else could check this behavior?

Greetings

Re: SXSSF Temp Files

Posted by Alex Geller <ag...@4js.com>.
Hi, as promised I retested with the latest version (3.8 beta4) and I can't
observe the issue on Linux. When the program prompts for input I have the
following files:
$ls -ltr /tmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex       alex           26619 Oct  5 09:00 testsxssf.xlsx
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex       alex               0 Oct  5 09:00
temp_Test4544062166241408566.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex       alex          549847 Oct  5 09:00
sheet2829630860753287909.xml
Once the program terminates:
$ls -ltr
-rw-r--r-- 1 alex       alex           26619 Oct  5 09:00 testsxssf.xlsx
Regards,
Alex

Re: SXSSF Temp Files

Posted by Helfi <st...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

the promp is to hold the vm to check the folder.
If I check them at this moment 3 temp files are present, poi-sxssf.xml,
poi-sxssf.xlsx and my temp_test.
After continuing the program my file will be deleted, but both poi files are
still present.

I created the test temp file to check some problems with the filesystem or
some permission issues.

I`m using the poi 3.8 beta 4.

Greetings

Re: SXSSF Temp Files

Posted by Alex Geller <ag...@4js.com>.
Hi,
I tried your example and I couldn't reproduce the issue. Do you expect the
files to be deleted when the program prompts for input? If yes, then that
may not be the case as the files are deleted either at VM exit or when the
finalizer of the sheet or the workbook is called (Which can't be predicted).
When the VM exits the files are deleted since they are created calling
fd.deleteOnExit() just like your file. I tested on Linux using an early
version of the SXSSF classes but looking at the source of SXSSFSheet of the
latest version I would still expect things to work. Please confirm that the
files are not deleted after VM exit and I will download the latest version
and try to reproduce the issue.
Regards,
Alex