Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> on 2013/05/30 19:18:16 UTC

Hive errors after install

Hello all,

I'm trying to fix errors on my freshly installed Ambari 1.2.2 cluster, specifically with Hive/HCat service. I have an alert

Hive Metastore status check
CRIT for 8 days
CRITICAL: Error accessing hive-metaserver status [WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.

I searched for some resolutions and at this point I'm stuck. I noticed that I don't have a hive database installed on the mysql server. I also get the following when I execute start hive command manually as per http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.0/bk_reference/content/reference_chap3_1.html

su -l hive -c "nohup hive --service metastore > $HIVE_LOG_DIR/hive.out 2> $HIVE_LOG_DIR/hive.log   &"
-bash: /hive.out: Permission denied

I looked in my logs directory and there is no hive folder and I also try to cd into $HIVE_LOG_DIR and do not see it either. I found a JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-2044 that I think is related but I don't think it's exactly my issue. Web/HCat service is in fact working though. Unlike on my test cluster where Hive/HCat is working and WebHCat is not. That will be my next endeavor.

Any help would be appreciated.

This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank you.

Re: Hive errors after install

Posted by Srimanth Gunturi <sr...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Artem,
Wrt manual start, If $HIVE_LOG_DIR is not set to some accessible folder
(like /var/log/hive), then I can understand "-bash: /hive.out:
Permission denied"
- its trying to create /hive.out on the root folder as user hive.

I think creating folders/setting $HIVE_LOG_DIR might address it?

Maybe the logs contain why the service was not installed properly.
Regards,
Srimanth