Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au.INVALID> on 2021/10/10 06:59:23 UTC

CI

On 10/10/21 5:26pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> BTW, we should probably move to Github Actions for CI/CD. Much faster than Travis.

I've got a bit of experience [1] with github actions in some of my other
open source projects, and mostly they are very good. Ties in nicely with
pull requests as well. However a bit more limited with regard to
database choices. Ideally we'd want databases like SQL Server, AWS
Aurora, etc in our test suite.

Are we limited at all within the Apache project with how we can
configure Actions?

Ari

[1] https://github.com/ishgroup/oncourse/actions

Re: CI

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au.INVALID>.

On 15/10/21 12:00am, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> How good is buildbot? Is it capable of running dockerized builds? Does it have MacOS and Windows agents?

Buildbot is great as a tool. I use it myself outside Apache. But I don't
think the Apache installation is going to give us containers with SQL
Server, etc.

> My (uninformed) vote is to abandon buildbot and stay on Travis. When/if it becomes untenable, migrate to GitHub Actions outside Apache GitHub (or maybe within Apache if GA restrictions are removed).
>
> Automating release artifacts is a good idea. But probably not until we are more confident in our CI infrastructure.

I agree with all this. Unless anyone has any other thoughts, I'll let
infra know to kill our old buildbot instance (which isn't working anyway).

Ari

Re: CI

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@gmail.com>.

Re: CI