Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Flynn <pf...@ucc.ie> on 2003/01/27 12:34:03 UTC

Serving files from the Apache docroot

I just brought up Tomcat in order to serve a handful of .jsp files
which are in the Apache document root.

Right now of course, when Apache hands off the request to Tomcat
for /foo.jsp, Tomcat comes back with a 404 because it can't find
the file:

 > HTTP Status 404 - /foo.jsp
 >
 > type Status report
 >
 > message /foo.jsp
 >
 > description The requested resource (/foo.jsp) is not available.
 > Apache Tomcat/4.1.18

Where do I tell Tomcat to look for this file in (eg) /var/www/html?
Where is it currently looking?

///Peter

Re: Serving files from the Apache docroot

Posted by Henning Heil <he...@dl.deutsche-leasing.de>.
Hi Peter,

I had and have the same problem - and didn't find a solution yet. A more
or less good workaround I discussed with (or better was a suggestion by)
Mike Bachrynowski (who is also member on the list) could be to
completely mirror the apache docroot to the tomcat docroot. This in my
eyes is 'a little' waste of disk space and an alternative I though about
is, to set the tomcat docroot to the same local dir the apache's points
to - but I haven't tested this, maybe causes bad bad problems.

As far as I understood the mayor cause for all this is, that jk2
developers due to performance reasons don' t want to send back requests
(for images, .js, .css ...) to the apache and - what you and Mike and I
want to do becomes impossible. <-- LIST: is this right (I'm not really
sure whether I should believe it)?

What I'm asking myself: is there anybody on the list who is really
highly experienced in jk2 coniguration?

Well, over all, hope this helps a bit,

Henning