Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randall R Schulz <rr...@cris.com> on 2002/09/02 04:14:05 UTC

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 under Windows NT crashes: "memory cannot be read"

Jocelyn,

That's not a Tomcat problem.

The diagnostic you're seeing is indicative of a problem in the JVM or a
native library or of some flaw external to the whole Tomcat / JVM complex
(hardware or driver, e.g.). Short of a bug in the bytecode interpreter, the
JIT translator or other code running as native instructions within the
JVM's address space, this cannot happen.

Thus the problem is by definition not Tomcat, since Tomcat is 100% Java.
Even if only Tomcat triggers the symptom, it cannot be a problem in the
Tomcat code. Such a bug would produce misbehavior (non-compliant with the
pertinent specs) and / or an inappropriate or unhandled Java exception,
possibly even abortive shutdown of Tomcat as a whole, but not a low-level
fault such as you've reported.

You should consider driver bugs (network driver, e.g.) or bugs in the
platform's native (JNI) libraries or corrupted files containing code that
is activated when you run Tomcat.

You should also consider hardware problems. Run a RAM diagnostic at the
very least (check out MemTest86--it's good and mature. Get the latest
release, especially if you have a P4-based system).

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA