Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Inash Zubair <in...@leptone.com> on 2007/07/22 05:03:31 UTC

Tomcat 3.3 and SSL Certificate Key with a Passphrase

Hi.

I've been trying to tackle a problem with adding an SSL certificate to
the keystore using the keytool. We have purchased a Verisign SSL
Secure Site Pro certificate which was generated with a key using a
passphrase. It was generated using OpenSSL. I have been able to make
it work with Apache.

However, we have a web application that needs to be secured running
Tomcat 3.3. When I add the intermediate certificate and our private
certificate and restart Tomcat, and try to connect to it using the
browser, it displays an error stating that the security protocol is
not recognized.

I've tried several alternative methods of adding the certificate to
the keystore but haven't been able to configure tomcat to use the
passphrase. I've seen it is possible with the later versions using a
configuration directive SSLPassphrase in the server.xml configuration
file.

Hope I get a solution for it to work with Tomcat 3.3. Thanks and Cheers!

--
- Inash

Re: Tomcat 3.3 and SSL Certificate Key with a Passphrase

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Inash Zubair" <in...@leptone.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I've been trying to tackle a problem with adding an SSL certificate to
> the keystore using the keytool. We have purchased a Verisign SSL
> Secure Site Pro certificate which was generated with a key using a
> passphrase. It was generated using OpenSSL. I have been able to make
> it work with Apache.
>
> However, we have a web application that needs to be secured running
> Tomcat 3.3. When I add the intermediate certificate and our private
> certificate and restart Tomcat, and try to connect to it using the
> browser, it displays an error stating that the security protocol is
> not recognized.
>
> I've tried several alternative methods of adding the certificate to
> the keystore but haven't been able to configure tomcat to use the
> passphrase. I've seen it is possible with the later versions using a
> configuration directive SSLPassphrase in the server.xml configuration
> file.
>
> Hope I get a solution for it to work with Tomcat 3.3. Thanks and Cheers!

For the most part, the solution is much the same for Tomcat 3.3 as it is for
the later versions.  Usually the easiest is to use OpenSSL to create a
PCKS12 file, and use that for the keystoreFile.  Another possible
alternative is to do something like http://www.comu.de/docs/tomcat_ssl.htm.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Inash Zubair [mailto:inash@leptone.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 3.3 and SSL Certificate Key with a Passphrase
>
> However, we have a web application that needs to be secured running
> Tomcat 3.3.

Don't suppose you'd consider moving to a more recent level?  3.3 was
last touched over five years ago.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.