Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/11/27 20:30:24 UTC

rVPC

Hey Wilder,

I hope that you are well.

We've found that the rVPC seems to use the same MAC address on the public interface of both the Master and Backup rVPC nodes - was this by design?

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

RE: rVPC

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks for this information Wei,

It there a detailed design document which imcludes this kind of information for the redundant routers and VPCs?
My understanding is that they use VRRP, which *can* use a 'virtual MAC' but the primary MAC addresses of the public interface should be unique - with the last byte of the MAC address matching representing the  Virtual Router Identifier.

I'd like to understand why this was implemented differently.

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

CloudStack is designed like it. Not only RVR on VPC, but also RVR for isolated network, the MAC on public interface are the same on MASTER/BACKUP.

-Wei

Re: rVPC

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,