Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Isaac Wieder <is...@wieder.com> on 2005/12/05 18:33:15 UTC

jk connector and apache

Hello,

I wrote in earlier (october 20), but no one responsed.

I have apache 2.0.54 and tomcat 5.0.28 running on a server and they are
connected through JK.  For some reason, my system has a large number of
CLOSE_WAITs on the port that tomcat and apache use to communicate (this
is found by doing netstat -al on linux).  Tomcat switched from port 8009
to 8010 causing apache to spin off so many threads that it stopped
responding because port 8009 was still there, but it was not responding to
any requests.

If I kill tomcat and restart it the problem goes away, but its basically a
ticking time bomb.

Does anyone know what could cause such a behavior out of from tomcat?

thanks,

Isaac

Re: jk connector and apache

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Isaac Wieder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wrote in earlier (october 20), but no one responsed.
>
> I have apache 2.0.54 and tomcat 5.0.28 running on a server and they are
> connected through JK.  For some reason, my system has a large number of
> CLOSE_WAITs on the port that tomcat and apache use to communicate (this
> is found by doing netstat -al on linux).  Tomcat switched from port 8009
> to 8010 causing apache to spin off so many threads that it stopped
> responding because port 8009 was still there, but it was not responding to
> any requests.
>
> If I kill tomcat and restart it the problem goes away, but its basically a
> ticking time bomb.
>
> Does anyone know what could cause such a behavior out of from tomcat?

Without config files it's hard to tell,
but you probably have miss configured the mod_jk and Tomcat.

Usually this means that the connections are half-closed, probably
by setting MaxRequestsPerChild.
Usually setting the connectionTimeout="60000" in server.xml for AJP
connector will solve that.

Regards,
Mladen.