Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Raheel Hasan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/09 09:36:03 UTC

Ideal Server Environment

Hi guyz,

I am trying to setup a LIVE environment for my project that uses Apache
Solr  along with PHP/MySQL...

The indexing is of heavy data (about many GBs)..

Please can someone recommend the best server for this?

Thanks a lot.

Raheel Hasan

Re: Ideal Server Environment

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 12:42 +0200, Raheel Hasan wrote:

> Also, could you tell me if CentOS or Ubuntu will be better?

You are asking for short answers to complex questions.

There is nothing inherent in Solr that favours one Linux installation
over another. CentOS is aimed at the enterprise, so I _guess_ that it
will be preferable if you have a sysadmin to handle the underlying
system for you. If you are to manage it yourself, I would recommend
Ubuntu as it is aimed at end-users.

- Toke Eskildsen

Re: Ideal Server Environment

Posted by Raheel Hasan <ra...@gmail.com>.
ok thanks for the reply....

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 09:39 +0200, Raheel Hasan wrote:
> Also, I wonder if Solr will require High processor? High Memory or High
> Storage?
>
> 1) For Indexing

* Processor
* Bulk read/write.

Posted by Raheel Hasan <ra...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Raheel Hasan <ra...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guyz,
>
> I am trying to setup a LIVE environment for my project that uses Apache
> Solr  along with PHP/MySQL...
>
> The indexing is of heavy data (about many GBs)..
>
> Please can someone recommend the best server for this?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Raheel Hasan